Monday, April 17, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 4/17/17
“The earth has music for those who listen.”  (George Santayana)  What sounds of the earth fascinate you?  One of the best for me is the chirping of the birds in the early morning darkness.  Thank you, Rachel Carson, for writing Silent Spring.  I also like the sound of raindrops against the windows.  We once visited in New Mexico, and I can remember the howling of the coyotes at night.  I wonder what it was in nature that Santayana heard as music?    ;-)  Jack

FROM QUILTING CAROL IN WISCONSIN:  I made a quilt in 1994 – that bears your today’s quote – just a little different.  “The earth is full of music for those who listen.”  This quilt was made in a class in Woodstock that lasted 10 months.  We each started with our own bare bones tree and each month we were told what to add to the quilt – draping vines, leaves and berries, leaves, critters and their homes, fruit, flowers, heart and diamond shapes, a horizon line, wheelbarrow,  a quote and a pieced border.  There are many memories in this quilt!  Bob is sitting fishing in his cedar strip canoe on the river.  He used to take youth groups to the Boundary Waters; he and Michael build the canoe in our basement, often had bears in their campsites or saw moose along shorelines.  The cabin is a memory of the root beer lady who made homemade root beer and sold it to canoers in the Boundary Waters.  The pine trees are memories of those that surrounded our home in Woodstock.  I named this quilt – “I Can Too Have Bananas in My Tree”.  I learned so much making this quilt and how to use fabrics to create bird nests, wings on bees, shadings, squirrel tails, turtle shells, etc.  Thanks for sharing your Winning Words today and bringing back fun memories!====JACK:  Quilters ( like you) are amazing women.  I suppose that there are "guy quilters", too.

FROM STARRY KNIGHT:  I love the birds too!!====JACK:  I suppose that you're a fan of the bluejay...but probably not for its  song.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  My daughter has a plaque of this saying on her condo wall. She is very musical. I've been under the weather for several days, and she stepped in on Easter, and rang my bells in the church bell choir anthem, and sang in our choir in my place on Easter Sunday.====JACK:  We had lots of music on Easter Sunday, too, beginning with the hymn, "Jesus Christ Is Risen Today."  We also had bells, along with a rousing choir anthem...and a good sermon.  3 grandsons sat with me.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  The beautiful chorus of birds, the mooing of cows, the grandkids calling "Monnie" or Papa, the call of the Spring Peepers, laughter, the sound of a loved one on the phone, the "chirp" of the frogs as they jump in the pond, rain on an umbrella, and the songs of wonderful old hymns being played or sung.====JACK:  How about a baby's giggle?


No comments: