Friday, April 14, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 4/14/17
“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”  (Jesus)  Rabbi Harold Kushner got the idea for his book, When Bad Things Happen To Good People, after his 3-yr-old son was diagnosed with a terrible disease.  The book became a best-seller, because many people want to know the “why” of suffering.  Jesus (God as a human) asked, “Why?”…and finally was able to say, “Father, I put myself into your hands.”  That’s what you do with the unanswerable.    ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:  As re-posted from my Facebook devotional this morning-- "May you enjoy an exceptional Good Friday / Resurrection Celebrated Sunday",====JACK:  Easter...the day that turns a BAD Friday into GOOD,

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  in a Kushner talk I hear him say this:  WHY is not the right question to ask.  it can never be answered satisfactorily.  the question to ask is this:  HOW can I survive this great loss/calamity and somehow come out on the other side with some degree of sanity and normalcy once again in my life?   btw, Phil Yancey wrote a book entitled: The Question that Never Goes Away.  and it does not ever go away...====JACK:  One of the resources that I use is Book of Comfort, by Alvin Rogness, given to me by you when you left for Minnesota.  Part of the inscription reads, "Keep in touch."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We should put ourselves in His Hands for everything.  It's the only way we can get through this life.   I used to go each year on Good Friday with the some of the attorneys I worked with in the Ren Cen to the Mariners Church for Good Friday services.====JACK:  My wife remembers how her father would have the children stop playing and come into the house for the 3-hour period from noon to 3.

FROM FM IN WISCONSIN:  Jack, every morning I have two items to read, one your WW – the second, “Quote – unquote” from the Milwaukee Journal – today, from the Journal, “If you are in trouble, or hurt – go to poor people.   They’re the only ones that’ll help – the only ones.  John Steinbeck, through the character Ma Joad in his novel, “The Grapes of Wrath.” Published on this date, April 14th, in 1939.====JACK:  Steinbeck's wife suggested the title, referring to that line from the Battle Hymn of the Republic, "where the grapes of wrath are stored."  That, in turn, traced back to Revelation 14:19-20, where it says that God's judgment will come upon those who oppress the poor.  Today's society could stand a reminder of that passage.


No comments: