Thursday, March 02, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 3/2/17
“Work won’t hug you when you’re old.”  (Bob Dotson)  Dotson tells of a man whose work caused him to be away from home for extended periods of time.  While gone, he’d plan “Daddy Days” with his daughter when he got home.  Those were special!  We need to be alert so that in our making a living, we don’t neglect to make a life.  As I recall the old days with my children when we were “younger,” they bring a smile to my face .  Those were the days!    ;-)  Jack

FROM QUILTING CAROL:  When I see young parents with babies or young children, I tell them to enjoy every minute of that age because in a blink of an eye they will be as old as you are.  It happens so quickly and you look at your children being parents and then seeing your grandchildren begin to be the age where they could become parents. YIKES!  Every day is a blessing to be cherished.  Sometimes we lose one of these children and then you truly only have the memories.====JACK:  I've often quoted this poem by Robert Smith...
“The clock of life is wound but once,  And no man has the power
To tell just when the hands will stop  At late or early hour.
The present only is our own,  So live, love, toil with a will,
Place no faith in "Tomorrow,"  For the Clock may then be still.”
====CAROL:  Think I’ll tuck this poem in my special book of quotes that sits next to me each day.  Have some cherished memories in that book.

FOM BLAZING OAKS:  I remember reading a quote about having regrets at the end of life, "No one ever says, 'I wish I had spent more time at the office'..."  Just yesterday Bill Self, coach at Kansas, mentioned how little time he'd gotten to spend with his son, Tyler, a Sr guard on the Kansas team, (who rarely got floor time, cheering from the bench,  and running the scout team,) except for the 5 years he coached him, making the past 5  years the best of his coaching career; He said, "Every parent probably  wishes they could spend more time with their kids growing up, while you're chasing the carrot, and I've chased it. And you can't get that time back. But it's special when you get more time. My time was later in life, when most parents have it earlier. It's not an even trade, but I'll take it!"  His son will always be his favorite "Jayhawk", and was a big favorite of the crowds who came to the games, somewhat like a cult hero:  they'd chant his name to get into the game, and cheer like crazy when he (rarely) did!  And Tyler, who chose to walk-on at Kansas rather than take offers from smaller schools, where he'd play more, obviously was devoted to, and adored his Dad!  It does  take extra planning, when both parents have jobs, etc. but it is worth the effort, and pays life-long dividends in hugs, respect and love! And "grandparenting"...don't get me started!!====JACK:  One of the great things about my job was that I got to be the Confirmation teacher for my children.  With flex-time, I also got to attend most of their sporting events.  

FROM TARMART REV:  Those memories with our children early on are long lasting for sure!! ====JACK:  I'm also appreciating the opportunity to see our children grow into adults.  Memories can be made at any age.  And, let me tell you about my grandchildren......

FROM RJP IN NAPLES: And indeed Children remember when Daddy was away on business and missed a special day or event. I traveled extensively during much of our younger days and my kids still remind me of things I missed. Parenting of younger children is very special and I see my grandson turn down better jobs because he works nights and can be with his children all day before they are ready for school. I see my son now works from 5:30 AM to 3:00 PM so he can pick up his daughter from school and take her to auditions in the afternoon. Those sacrifices bring great rewards when framed in the proper perspective. I can't regret what was past, but can respect what happens today.====JACK:  Each generation has its own way of parenting.  I like what Dr Benjamin Spock
advised parents..."Use common sense!"  You and Chris had a lot of that, and your kids benefitted from that.

FROM CH ON CAPE COD:  I resonate.  Feel so grateful for the year and  a half I had as a stay-at-home Dad when transitioning from MI to MA and then the on-going times, special “Dad-dates” with Joanna and Lydia!====JACK:  As I recall, one of the reasons for moving back east was to have sailing time with your dad, or was it a recalling of those sailing days?  Parent/child quality time spans generations.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:   We loved those days too!  We love when our grandkids are over and the family is together.====JACK:  Now, as you move into your "country estate," it's time to begin making new memories.  #1 - Start digging that outhouse pit out behind the barn.


No comments: