Monday, March 20, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 3/20/17
“Winter is on my head, but eternal spring is in my heart.”  (Victor Hugo)  One thing leads to another.  I expected to make comments on aging when I read, “Winter is on my head…”  But then I came across, “Winter Is On My Head,” a group of musicians and artists who offer a yearly album of music and art to be used as a fund-raiser for needy causes.  One album featured gospel music by The Gospel Whiskey Runners.  I’ll leave an aging quote to later in the week.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM COPPER COUNTRY BOB:  Last night Deloris and I attended a  Music For Sacred Space  concert put on by Mich. Tech. U.   It was a wonderful part of my 2017 Lenten journey.   One of the songs which fertilized my soul was   LAY ME LOW   by Kevin Siegfried.     You might Google the text to experience the  truth of God laying me low to “find, own and bless me.”====JACK:  I did go to Google...and I was able to hear, as well as read, the lyrics  of the song.
Lay me low, lay me low, lay me low
Where no-one can see me  Where no-one can find me  Where no-one can hurt me  
Show me the way, help me to say  All that I need to  
All that I needed you gave me  All that I wanted you made me
When I stumbled you saved me  Lay me low...
Throw me a line, help me to find  Something to cling to  
When the loneliness haunts me  When the bitterness taunts me  
When the emptiness eats me.  Lay me low...
It does have a Lenten theme about it, doesn't it?

FROM VW MARY:  Word association made me think of a my high school chorus whose repertoire included this verse from a madrigal:
April is in my mistress’ face  And July in her eyes hath place;
Within her bosom is September,  But in her heart a cold December.
====JACK:  Brrrrr!  Cold December!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Loved the quote.  "Hope springs eternal" on my head and in my heart." ====JACK:  That quote by Alexander Pope goes back to the 1700s.  Hope means that you haven't given up.  A father arrived late for T-ball game and asked his son what the score was.  "It's 18 to nothing and we're losing."  "Well, don't feel bad," consoled the father.  The boy responded enthusiastically, "Feel bad?  I don't feel bad.  We haven't been to bat, yet!"  Hope springs eternal!

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Good thing we keep eternal Spring SOMEWHERE, isn't it? If winter comes, can Spring be far behind? I hope not! Yes, we always need to keep hoping, even when Winter is on our heads. It enriches our lives...JACK:  What?  No comment on the Gospel Whiskey Road Runners?  Since they sing Gospel music, I wonder if they're members of some Baptist church?

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  There are Summer who won't Fall for that. Sorry about that, Couldn't resist.====JACK:  It's Spring...time for you to wet your plants!

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  That is the good thing about living in Florida-it is mostly summer or spring all year long. Speaking of aging, I was feeling like 49 until I got a coughing bug  that lasted for a month or more.  Now I am almost normal after 10 days of an antibiotic. It is a marvelous world in which we life-one day at a time.====JACK:  Since you live in, what seems to be paradise, does that mean there will be no changing of seasons in heaven?



No comments: