Monday, March 13, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 3/13/17
“It’s just a journey I’m on, discovering what my connection to and relationship with God is.”  (Sam Worthington)  Perhaps you’ve experienced certain events in your life that have brought you closer to God.  For actor, S.W., it was during the filming of The Shack.  A church member told me that when he was in the hospital, Jesus appeared at the foot of his bed and said that everything was going to be OK.  Be on the lookout for the omnipresent God!    ;-)  Jack

FROM LBP IN PLYMOUTH:  The kids theme for lent is "journey to the cross" because lent is our time to discover "how much we need God's love".  I take my lesson plans from another source. But I'm happy to borrow that perspective.====JACK:  One of my seminary professors wrote a book of Church history for children called, Little Journeys in His Kingdom.  It's a great book for adults, as well.  When I find it (it's a little red book) in my library, I'll let you know.

FROM LS IN MICHIGAN:  I have heard stories to this effect only instead of Jesus appearing it was an Angel that appeared.====JACK:  There are several stories in the Bible where an angel of God appeared to someone.

FROM AW IN ILLINOIS:  Our family motto, coined by my wife Judy, and now on our tombstone is: "It's all part of the great adventure."    That thought has gotten us through difficult and joyous times....and it was the theme for the sermon at her funeral. Indeed, Judy  was a wise woman. ====JACK:  You were the wise one.  You picked her.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I love both the book and the movie of THE SHACK, especially the dialogue between WISDOM and the grieving father, dealing with Judgement! Seeing and empathizing with God's "impossible" task of condemning one of his beloved children to Hell from the viewpoint of choosing which of your own children will go to Heaven or Hell was powerful!  And the idea that sometimes God is a nurturing, loving mother, sometimes a counselor, or Guide and loving father, depending on your need, is depicted so well in that book!  Some very traditional religious folks don't seem to "get it", but it is a gold mine to those who do...  I have experienced the presence of God, not in a figure, but being enfolded in an overpowering love, and once, hearing an actual voice of encouragement and care during intense prayer.====JACK:  Since I've only read part of the book (I didn't "get" into it) and have not seen the movie, I can only take the word of others that it's a spiritual experience.  And, I'll go with that.  I also agree that God can provide answers in prayer.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Many things can bring us closer to a God but a few real hardships seem to be the overwhelming times to push us ever closer.====JACK:  Job's story in the O.T. is a good example of that.  "Though he slay me, yet will I trust him."====JUDY:  Job is truly the Bible book that I know I could never live up to but I love his deep faith.====JACK:  "Could never live up...?"  What do you think Jesus meant when he said, "Be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect"?

FROM QUILTING CAROL IN WISCONSIN:  We have a Crosstalk session between our worship services on Sunday morning – many different topics are chosen during the year for discussion or to inform us of community issues.  Our leader who happens to be a physician asks us to share any “God sightings” we might have had during the week.  It is always interesting to hear what members share.  I’ll send you some pictures of what could have been a God sighting for me had I been with Michael and his boys recently.====JACK:  God sightings!  I like it.  I also liked the pictures you sent.  I had an aunt who would always say, "Keep your eyes peeled," when she wanted us to especially look for something.  I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a "God sighting" today...or tomorrow.

 





No comments: