Thursday, February 16, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 2/16/17
“All slang is metaphor, and all metaphor is poetry.”  (G.K.Chesterton)  A metaphor is a word or phrase that stands for something else.  For example, “Today’s Winning Words are really on fleek.”  If you’re up on street slang, you know what “on fleek” means.  If not, you may be inclined to Google it.  In France, a slang term of endearment is, “Ma puce,” my flea.  Try that on someone today.  Or, try using, “on fleek,” in a sentence and see who gets it.    ;-)  Jack

FROM MY LAWYER:  Right on!  You are a provocateur....in a good way!!!====JACK:  Is that anything like a raconteur?

FROM TARMART REV:  My eye first caught the Urban Dictionary definition which was not that appealing; however I do like this Dictionary.com definition: "flawlessly styled, groomed, etc.; looking great!"====JACK:  Use "on fleek" in a sentence when you talk to teenagers today, and they will think that you're on fleek.

FROM MSU BIG FAN:  How do you know these things, Smarty Pants and how old are you anyway?! 😂====JACK:  "Stuff" interests me.  I'll never be any younger than I am today.  BTW, the word, smarty, was used in the book, Tom Sawyer.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  My goodness, where have I been that I'd never heard "fleek" or "on fleek" ?!  It's new to me; I  take it that it means, on point, awesome, well groomed or attractive...I'm sure if I'd use it around my friends or family, I'd get "the look"!! :-)  I like G.K. Chesterton, usually...bet he never heard of the metaphor fleek, tho!====JACK:  Here's a suggestion.  Throw "on fleek" into a sentence with your Bible study group and see if anyone says, "What does "on fleek" mean?  I'll bet that no one catches it.  For example, "Jesus was really on fleek when he said that we should love our neighbor as we love ourselves.  Don't you agree?"

FROM BB IN ILLINOIS:  You’re so hip!  Always love the winning words.====JACK:  Curiosity has grabbed me.  Hip?  It comes from the African word, hepicat, meaning "one who has his eyes open."

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  You learn something new every day from Jack’s Winning Words.  You must be a voracious reader- like my wife.  Quite honestly, I have always been a poor reader.====JACK:  As I read, I tend to become side-tracked by words and phrases that interest me.
My sermons have often been crafted in that way.  I read the text and look for a word, a phrase or a topic that jumps out at me..."That might interest my hearers (readers)."  Our preaching professor in seminary always said, "Take the text and connect it up with life."

No comments: