Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 1/31/17
“Right or wrong, make a decision.  The road of life is paved with flat squirrels.”  (Anon)  I like Ella Fitzgerald’s song, Undecided, but I don’t like the feeling of being undecided.  Do you ever have a problem with decisions, especially ones that involve life changes?  Paul Brodie, in his book, Just Do It!, describes ways to take action…”Taking the 1st step is the hardest.”  My way is to make a list of options, pray, and then pick the one that seems best.    ;-)  Jack

FROM DR J IN OHIO:  I'm with her.... Lady Liberty!====JACK:  She's a BIG girl.  She can take it.  Her message isn't going to go away.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Dick Smith and I had done great debates with Lawrence Tribe and his partner...I see that Tribe is now suing Trump for unconstitutional practices.   Tribe was John Roberts' teacher in Law School....crazy out there.====JACK:  You've had a "wonderful" life and met some very interesting people.  I'd like to know if Tribe remembers those debates.  Have you ever tried to contact him?  BTW, in a debate (for example, with Trump), how is bombast controlled...and is there a fact-checker?  The Presidential Debates aren't really debates, are they?

FROM TRIHARDER:  My --wife's family had, in essence, a family motto, driven by their father: "a poor decision is better than no decision at all." I couldn't disagree more. My response was, and continued to be, "Procrastination is a means of avoiding a poor decision"; or its cousin, "Never be in a hurry to make a poor decision. "  I think I've shared those with you in the past.====JACK:  Your response reminds me of Hobson's Choice...or Henry Ford's:  "You can have the Model T in any color you want, as long as it's black."  When two women came to Solomon claiming to be the mother of a child (1 Kings 3), he was wise in his judgment, and the real mother was wise in her decision.
====TH:  Coincidentally, I made a choice last night of how to solve a major problem involving the closest of friends. I was going to act on it first thing in the morning. When morning came, I procrastinated making the move. Suddenly, a different, better solution came to came to mind. ====JACK:  The workings of the mind can be mysterious.====TH:  Sometimes it requires clearing out so that an idea can pierce the skull.  Like trying to think of that actor -- and later, it pops in.

FROM WATERFORD JAN:  I, too, am a list-maker by beginning with a line down the middle of a sheet of paper.  Pros and Cons are listed and then contemplated, discussed, prayed about, not necessarily in that order.  The interesting outcome is often the list with the least items.  Sometimes the fewer items are stronger reasons for being chosen.====JACK:  There's also a middle column which is neither pro nor con...flip a coin.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  :-) Those lilttle critters do sit up and "think" when a car is approaching, leading to some of them being flattened! Roy Disney says "It's not hard to make decisions if you know what your values are."  I think this is valid...at least limits our options!====JACK:  First, you have to make a decision about your values.  When does that decision take place?====OAKS:  I think we pretty much absorb values we're raised with and see around us, and our conscience is pretty vocal when we have serious options!  Most of the "Greatest Generation" had sound moral core values which influence our decisions.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Your way is the best way!  List, pray, decide!====JACK:  I like the petition from the Lord's Prayer..."Thy will be done on earth..."

FROM ST PAUL IN MESA:   I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure...====JACK:   sometimes its just a gut feeling and that may not always be the best route either...   but sometimes it is...====JACK:  Are your decisions based on circumstances?  Yes or No...depending..."====PAUL:   sometimes its just a gut feeling and that may not always be the best route either...   but sometimes it is...====JACK:  I think that the Holy Spirit can speak through the gut as well as through the mind and the heart.



No comments: