Monday, January 30, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 1/30/17
“Everyone has two eyes, but no one has the same view.”  (Unknown)  I once said to my eye doctor, “I’ve heard that eyes are windows to the soul.  When you look into a patient’s eyes, do you ever see their soul?”  As I recall, her answer was a, “No!”  Why do two people look at the same life situation and see it differently?  Psychologically, our own history and beliefs (our soul) are a big part of the reason.  Today’s a good day for doing some soul-searching.    ;-)  Jack

FROM DR J IN OHIO:  That is for sure!  I wish I could have been a fly on the wall when you asked your eye doctor if they ever see the soul’s of their patients!!!!!!====JACK:  Philosophy is not everyone's "cup of tea."  However, my internist often begins our visit by asking, "Well, what do you think about the world today?"

FROM TARMART REV:  Here's an old church chorus, not sung as much nowadays, if at all.  0;-)  "Search me, O God, and know my heart today; Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts, I pray;  See if there be some wicked way in me; CLEANSE ME from ev’ry sin, and set me free."====JACK:  I know that song.  We used to sing it while sitting around the fire at Bible Camp.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Ha! I'm going in for my annual eye-ck today; wonder what MY doctor would say if I posed that question?!  It's often been noted how several different eye witnesses to the same event vary considerably! Just recently I was with a group who toured 315 creche scenes from around the world, and I was the only one who "saw" the one  with Joseph holding the baby Jesus!  It made an impression on me because it was so different, but the others didn't single it out, tho some did recall it when I talked about it...I would guess it's good that we don't all have the same "view"!! ====JACK:  Ask the question and see where it leads.  BTW, did you see a manger scene where Joseph was taking a selfie of him, Mary and the baby....and the wise men bringing gifts in 3 Amazon boxes?====OAKS:  She said her machines didn't scope THAT far, but she saw two small cataracts, in eyes that she once again gave gold stars to. Very grateful for my good eyes! Glad Dr. Steggeman has a sense of humor! :-)

FROM LBP IN PLYMOUTH:  continuing on a previous WW to 'build bridges' but also on today's to see through someone else's eyes...  I found this podcast an interesting to given an interesting perspective that I didn't really 'get', living here in the northern mid-west
http://www.npr.org/podcasts/510308/hidden-brain; episode from Jan 24, 2017
====JACK:  As I pulled up the site I saw that it was about a half-hour long. (Shall I spend the time?)  I'm glad I did.  What a great example of empathy...of seeing life from the other person's view.  Bridge builders would like it; wall builder's would not...regardless of your political persuasion.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  And as we age we should be growing wiser, don't you think?====JACK:  Ben Franklin said, "Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise."  He didn't say anything about wisdom coming from old age.

   


No comments: