Friday, September 09, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 9/9/16
“If you’re not going to tell the truth, then why start talking?”  (Gene Wilder)  There used to be a TV program, To Tell The Truth, where a panel would try to guess which contestants were lying.  In Pinocchio’s day, it was easy.  I remember when “pants on fire” would indicate a liar.  Nowadays it’s more difficult.  Jesus gave some good advice when he said, “Avoid that tree that produces bad apples.”  Be like that old saying… “He’s a man of his word.”    ;-)  Jack  

FROM TRIHARDER:  How's this one?  "Even a bad apple spreads good deeds."====JACK:
Now, I'm thinking..."What does he mean by that?"====TH:  Yes. And I was going to write, "good seeds,"  "Whatever that means."  But it is true.

FROM TARMART REV:  Working on being "a good apple" today, Jack, because of your excellent reminder with your "Winning Words" this early in the morning!====JACK:  I don't know about being a good apple, but as far as I'm concerned, you're a good egg..

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  Sounds like good advice for both our presidential candidates. ====JACK:  This is advice for salesmen, too.  I always felt that I was in a form of sales, also.

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Yeah - always makes me nervous when someone says......"Well, to be honest with you....".     So does that mean if you don't say that you are not being honest?   Wish I could forward this to all politicians.====JACK:  Used Car salesmen used to have a reputation for not telling the truth.  I think that politicians have overtaken them...or close to it.

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  At Wm Carr, when I was in third grade (you remember) my dad was in the school minstrel show and sang "It's a Sin to Tell a Lie". One of my fondest memories of grade school. One of my others is a kook who became a minister.====JACK:  That was a great song made popular by the Ink Spots.  Minstrels and names like Ink Spots are remembrances of a past that accepted racism.   "Memory  All alone in the moonlight  I can smile at the old days  I was beautiful then  I remember the time I knew what happiness was  Let the memory live again."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I still watch some of the re-runs of To Tell The Truth.  I find it fascinating how everyone smoked, dressed to the formal side and how fascinating the people were with their truthful stories.====JACK:  I liked that show.  I didn't see that the contestants were lying.  They were just trying to fool the panel.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  i so relate to this quote.  i have always stood for the truth as i see it.  i tell it and it is sometimes accepted with grace and sometimes not accepted with much grace.  i don't know how to communicate in any other way.  i try to be kind and only speak the truth out of love, concern, and respect for all involved.  it's a tricky balance.====JACK:  I try to take into account the feelings of the individual.  It's a situational thing.

No comments: