Monday, September 26, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 9/26/16
“The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.”  (B.B. King)  A friend of mine had to care for his young grandchildren, including diaper changes.  He said that it was like riding a bicycle.  Once you have the hang of it, you don’t forget.  No doubt, B.B. was writing about learning music.   A regret of mine is that my parents weren’t more forceful in having me continue piano lessons.  I’d love music more, if I could make my own.    ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:  During the fourth grade in grade school we were given the opportunity of learning to play a musical instrument. Dad had an old cornet around the house and for some reason (probably Dad's) I picked it up to learn how to play it. By Jr High I was ready to drop it, but Dad said I needed to learn "stick-to-it-ism" and was "forced" to play it all the way to High School graduation. Never became any more accomplished with it than to know what valves were to be pressed down in accordance with the notes shown in the music score. I really did not have the heart of it down in my spirit. What I did learn was to read music fairly well and lead the congregational hymns on Sunday as a youth pastor and later often as a pastor myself. Somewhat a bitter/sweet experience, but I always envied those who could play the trumpet with such ease?!====JACK:   Probably more important than trying to learn to play the trumpet was the really important lesson learned..."stick-to-it-ism."  Good dad!

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Are you going to watch the "debate" tonight?    It will pit on display America's most dangerous demagogue....the PT Barnum of our generation.    That whole movement is terrifying.   It is led by Trump and his followers are like Hobbes' description....nasty, brutish.......      I fear for our grandchildren.====JACK:  In a "real" like the ones you participated in, did anyone serve as a "fact-checker?"  I suppose it was left to the judges.  To me, the "Presidential Debates" are just a show.  In order to make them effective it depends on the moderator to ask the right questions in the right way and to be ready to ask the right follow ups.  When is someone going to say, "But he isn't wearing anything at all!"?

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  It's never too late, Jack (to take piano lessons).====JACK:  That would be true if I were Phil Connors in the movie, Groundhog Day.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Music was a large part of my life.  Each one of us kids had to learn an instrument.  Val plays the accordion, Kathy the flute, Cindy the violin, Rob the sax and me the clarinet.  Gary and I met in the church choir...he was 9 and I was 11.====JACK:  I used to listen to a family group of musicians called The Stonemans.  Pop Stoneman played the autoharp, and each of the kids played different instruments.  Some even danced as they played.  (YouTube)

No comments: