Thursday, September 22, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 9/22/14
“Dangers to Human Virtue: Business without ethics; Science without humanity; Politics without principles.”  (Gandhi)  A friend recently sent me these Gandhi words saying, “Perhaps you can use these sometime.”  What time is better than now when human virtue is in danger of being compromised?  Sitting, kneeling, standing are being used these days as ways for showing support of a specific cause.  However you might show it, be an advocate for virtue!    ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  We need to begin with ourselves.   But, we also need to be heard in the community.====JACK:  I'm reminded of the Edgar A, Guest poem, "I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day."  However, Ecclesiastes 3 tells us that there's also a time to speak.  Both/And!

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  If all one wants to do is to complain, why not something positive to make this a better world.====JACK:  One of the synonyms for complaining is, carping.  I'm going to look up the derivation of that.  (pause)  It traces back to the Icelandic verb, karpa, meaning to dispute or wrangle.  (pause)  Wrangle goes back to the old High German, ringan, meaning, to struggle.

FROM DR J IN OHIO:  perfect for today!====JACK:  Wouldn't it be an interesting change of pace to have business people, scientists and politicians talk about ethics, humanity and principles?

FROM SHALOM JAN:  I have a card on my fridge with a picture of Gandhi and "Seven Deadly Social Sins"; the card is from Sojourners.
"Politics without principle
Wealth without work
Commerce without morality
Pleasure without conscience
Education without character
Science without humanity
Worship without sacrifice."
I thought you'd like to see the whole thing.  I have appreciated it.
====JACK:  I had that whole list, too, but had to abbreviate it because of space constraints.  I picked the three that I believed related most to today's situation.  Which three would you have chosen? ====JAN:     I think I probably would have chosen those same three of Gandhi quotes.  My favorite, though, is "Worship without sacrifice". In our US culture, we tend to think worship is for gain of some sort.  All about me!  Blessings, Jack!  You send comfort, wisdom and inspiration each weekday.

No comments: