Thursday, June 09, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 6/9/16
“Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.”  (Robert Brault)  I once knew a man who’d walk into a room and loudly say, “What is truth?” hoping to start a philosophical discussion.  He was a nice guy, but he did more talking than listening.  I think that it might have been more productive to walk into the room and ask, “What is kindness?”  Let me know what happens when you try it.    ;-)  Jack 

FROM C IN WBT:  These will be my words of the day as I move forward through the next few months (and then hopefully they will be nailed into my head permanently!) “What is kindness?” ====JACK:  You might consider tacking the question by your desk someplace where you can look at it each day.====C: I already did that and 3 places out in the outer office too!

FROM INDY GENIE:  I will ask my summer campers that question this morning and let you know what I learn :)====JACK:  I'll be waiting with bated breath.  (Bated: anxiously holding one's breath)

FROM LOUGEE:   "...And if you try a little kindness  Then you'll overlook the blindness  Of narrow-minded people on the narrow-minded streets..."  Glenn Campbell====JACK:  Hey!  That fits.  Isn't interesting how song writers can make messages entertaining and memorable?

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  While they are not the truth, little white lies, or fibs, are usually grounded in kindness, the intent being to forgo somehow offending someone. In such cases, as Mr. Brault noted, regret is not necessary. Choosing "What is kindness?" to start a conversation is quite a challenge!  I wouldn't want you to hold your breath waiting for me to try it.====JACK:  You might try it out with your wife, your son, or even with Sachi, or all three.  "What is kindness?"====RI:  Good idea.  (Not having heard of Robert Brault, I googled and found information about him.  I was struck by another quote of his: "What we find in a soul mate is not something wild to tame, but something wild to run with."  By my own nature I would first have to find what "wild" refers to.) ====JACK:  Untethered?     When I was a toddler my mother would put a harness on me, together with a leash (like a dog).  When I was left to play in the yard she would attach the leash to a long rope tied to a stake in the ground.  One day she came out and I was nowhere to be found.  After searching and searching she found me down the street sitting with some workers on their lunch hour who were building a house.  I still had the rope and stake with me.  I WAS WILD AND UNTETHERED!

FROM BB IN ILLINOIS:  I love this quote; have never heard it before.  Awesome!====JACK:  I'm more attracted to someone who is soft-spoken than to one who is out-spoken.

FROM TARMART REV:  I follow the Son of Man that did such a thing . . . unfortunately he ended up momentarily on a cross, but asks of us to do the same, be kind and take up our cross-- "...be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you." ====JACK:  With regard to "What is truth?" he said, "I am the truth."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  It's a fair statement.  We tell children all of the time that their artwork, or sandcastle, or drawing is just beautiful when in reality it is a child's drawing or whatever work they have done.  We tell most people what they want to hear when it's not a big matter to us or others but means a great deal to them.====JACK:  "What is beauty?"  Another question that depends on the definition that one decides to accept.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  We were taught that if you cannot say something good, don't say anything at all.====JACK:  I wonder if modern parents are into teaching adages like that?  Do you know?

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Some people do a kindness by staying OUT of the room. ====JACK:  I haven't met many people like that, but I haven't been in the ad business. 

FROM JT IN MINNESOTA:  I shared this one with the Support Group I facilitate for caregivers and care receivers of dementia.  The group actually is two groups at the same time in different rooms.  Two volunteers work with the folks who are experiencing memory loss and I work with the caregivers.  We understand the meaning of your words.  Forcing a fact that may be true can certainly be harsh and an approach which promotes their self worth is far more kind and gentle if not always precisely true.====JACK:  Yes, sometimes it is kinder not to be true to the truth.  Kindness wins!

No comments: