Thursday, June 30, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 7/1/16
“Thank you, God, for this good life and forgive us if we do not love it enough.”  (Garrison Keillor)  I suppose most of us can give examples of situations and people that we didn’t fully appreciate until time took them away…for instance, the Prairie Home Companion radio show and the residents of Lake Wobegone.  G’s retired before, but tonight, it’s final.  No more Powdermilk Biscuits!  But I do have the memory of talking to Keillor in person.    ;-)  Jack

FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  I used to enjoy that radio program when I  lived in Michigan.  Pat Pintar, now O'Neill,  introduced me to it.  I think that it was broadcast  on a Saturday.====JACK:  England has funny people, too, don't they?  ...like Monte Python's "Silly Walks."  I laugh every time I see the video.  I'm going to Google it right now!  (pause)  HAHAHAHAHA

FROM HONEST JOHN:  You old Swede...you're a curmudgeon just like he is!====JACK:  How appropriate it was that my conversation with him took place at Gustavus Adolphus College.  You can't get much more Swedish than that, can you?

FROM LEEESS:  He will be missed.====JACK:  When you miss him enough you can go to YouTube.

FROM HUNGRY HOWIE:  I never listened to Prairie Home, not that I have anything negative to say about it, I just never was a listener. But the funny thing is I always was aware that he was a good man, offered sound and entertaining advice, was part of Americana. And when he announced that he was finished, I felt a loss also.  Why do you think that is?====JACK:  Do any patients ever come to you with false pain syndrome?====HH:  If you mean malingers, people faking a problem for insurance scams, no I have not  . That is because I don’t do that kind of work.  If you mean people who with a pain that has no physical cause then the answer becomes more muddled. Just because there is no way to measure pain, you have to take the persons word that they hurt. The trick is to find the pain generator. Is it a physical origin or a mental origin, in either event the pain they experience is real. I do not think there is ever a false pain. (other than faking pain) The person hurts. My job is to determine if I can help, when to say I cannot help and make a referral to the best person that might help.====JACK:  Here's a truism..."Pain is a pain!"  I once read of a sign in a chiropractor's office: "Limp in, leap out."

FROM TARMART REV:  One of Minnesota's favorites!! I'm thinking we will still have him on for many years to come through syndicating reruns?!====JACK:  I know of a pastor who "retired" from a congregation and then wanted to come back.  They didn't want him back.====REV:  ... very fortunate the congregation here invited me back after leaving and being gone for three yeas ... very much an exception to the rule.====JACK:  Don't push your luck!

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL: he has been a gift to sooo  many.  we will really miss PHC but he does have some health issues now to deal with.  and a lot of the programming can still be had on CDs, etc.====JACK:  I know that people felt the same way about you when you "moved on" from the congregations you served.  But, there comes a time....  Nothing goes on forever, except the love of God.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  We probably don't REALLY appreciate the good life we enjoy, so this is an apt prayer for us.  We are so blessed in this country.  Jan, Hal, Bill and I always enjoyed his radio broadcasts during and after dinner on Sundays...I think it was a re-broadcast of Saturday. Bill and I played Lake Woebegone tapes on vacation trips in the car. Some were hilarious! I still have them, but most cars don't play tapes anymore.That wry humor and wit and sometimes just plain silliness, was addictive. I saw him in person twice, but never met him.   Glad you did!====JACK:  He sort of reminded me of Andy Rooney...a curmudgeon.  I'm sure you've met other famous people.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  How did you get to meet him?  Did he talk to you as he talked in his program?====JACK:  During the coffee hour after his presentation, he was just standing off to the side, so I went up and said, "Hi!" and the conversation went on from there.


No comments: