Monday, June 06, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 6/6/16
“I wish people would love everybody else the way they love me.  It would be a better world.”  (Muhammad Ali)  I first knew him when he was Cassius Clay.  And then he became a Muslim and changed his name.  He became an advocate for peace in a time of war.  A boxer in favor of love and peace?  It didn’t add up.  So, I researched.  You learn something when you read the rest of the story.  Among his quotes, today’s speaks to what the world needs now.    ;-)  Jack  

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  i, too, wonder about the incongruence of his knocking someone unconscious for "sport" & loving humanity.  just what did ali do that was so "loving"? being a conscientious objector?====JACK:  Here's another of his quotes that relates..." It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up."  As for being a C.O., when he became a Muslim, he tried to live that belief.  It may be hard to understand in this world, but the word, Islam, means, "peace."  The true Muslim tries to live in peace.====LIZ:  quotes? big deal... what did he do?
all religions are peaceful. again, big deal.  not trying to be a smart aleck, btw.====JACK:  We  are what life hands us.  He came back from the Olympics as a champion and was refused service at a "Whites Only" restaurant.  How would you react?  Many regarded him as a "smart aleck," but it was part of his persona, being an entertainer.

FROM TARMART REV:  He certainly was "one of a kind" and most remembered by our older generation...he and Howard Cosell were quite a pair and made Ali's fights even more entertaining. As strong as he was as a championed boxer, it was amazing to me to see the crippling affect Parkinson's did on his body over the years. I always wondered if his boxing career brought it on more so? ====JACK:  One of my friends died this past year of Parkinson's.  It's a terrible and mysterious disease.  My friend was a kind and peace-loving person, except when we were on the golf course.  I contribute to the Parkinson's Foundation in his honor.====REV:  Just lost a dear friend of my wife and mine . . . over twenty years she struggled with it . . . eventually losing the bottom part of one leg from the knee down due to a blood clot . . . I would take her husband out for lunch about every 10 days during this year to share encouragement with him as he took care of her right to the end . . . she died at 72. He's been out fishing quite a bit since her death a couple of weeks ago.====JACK:  In certain situations, we continue to ask, Why?

FROM FM IN WISCONSIN:  With all the time being devoted to Ali’s death on TV, Jack’s WW quote today helps with understanding why this ex-boxer is still called “the greatest”.====JACK:  In retrospect, I see Ali's religious conversion as a commentary on the importance of living your beliefs.  During the "Cassius Clay and Lew Alcindor" years, many Christians seemed oblivious to the teachings of Jesus to "love your neighbor as you love yourself."  ...and, of course, the Muslims have hypocrites, too.

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  I didn't like him when he first came on the scene, then He became a black Muslim and avoided the draft; however in 1979 I met him having breakfast at the lunch counter at O'Hare Airport in the wee hours of the morning. He was gentle, kind and very giving and soft spoken one on one and I thought " who is this man?"  Like so many his outward persona did not reflect the inner soul. Very interesting human being.====JACK:  Usually, when we know the whole story, or meet someone in person, we have a clearer understanding of an individual.  Too often, we let the media define notables.

FROM HUNGRY HOWIE:  I have a poster of Mohammed in my basement where I work out, it is the iconic photo of him with arm bent and a look of triumph on his face while standing over a fallen Sonny Liston. My dad took me to see that fight . We went to Windsor and watched it from a closed circuit TV feed. I was 12 and he was 22. I was confused at first when he changed his name from Cassius Clay . But I soon came to support him again. I have since stopped watching boxing, too hard for me to watch fighters  crush each other’s brains. Mohammed transcended sports and nations and brought about much change  to the world. He is someone I always looked up to and one who honored his principles and fought for justice outside the ring. I think we all feel like he is ours in a certain way.====JACK:  As children, most of us were taught not to brag.  Ali's "I am the Greatest" therefore turned some people off.  Sometimes it's hard to separate the person we see from the true person.  It works with regard to Ali, Howie and me, too.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  he certainly was a prophet for his time.  too bad the world didn't listen more closely to his words.====JACK:  Sometimes we get so caught up in the moment that we fail to see things in perspective.  We need to step back from the microscope and start using the wide-angle lens.  It works that way with the election process, also.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  He was so different than anyone I have ever seen on tv before.  He and Howard would tease each other and that was also something I had ever seen before.  I enjoyed watching him in his interviews.  He was the only boxer we would watch because none of us liked boxing.====JACK:  What if Jacob has boxed with the angel, instead of wrestling?  Would God have approved?

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Ali was idolized and eventuallyl revered by; many. He said he tried to live in peace, and love everybody, and give 100's of free autographs to those who mobbed him, because he wanted to have a place in heaven. In his 60 Minutes interview with Morely Safer, he repeated that several times; he did what he did to secure a place in Heaven.  He certainly tried to live his adopted faith, and of course nobody would argue that loving others the way you love family and friends, creates a better world!! He always seemed to keep a sense of humor, and a bit of mischief  (and magic tricks) in dealing with others, and his family, too.!====JACK:  I'm trying to remember when general public opinion changed from anti-Ali to pro-Ali.  Perhaps it began in 1977 when President Carter pardoned the Viet Nam draft dodgers.  BTW, I think that Ed Bradley did the interview.  It was a good one.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Isn't it interesting that Ali should die just when the White Supremacists in America are making their last stand....====JACK:  Such is life...We die with unfinished business.  Did it happen that way with Jesus?

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  I so admired his courage on all fronts.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Wouldn't it be great if we could all love one another? Today is the 72d anniversary of D Day, and we all remember that day so well.  But the reality of life is that you do have to confront evil.====JACK:  Who could have imagined on D-Day that our enemies, Germany, Italy and Japan, would later be counted among our best friends?

No comments: