Monday, June 27, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 6/27/16
“Nothing is work unless you’d rather be doing something else.”  (George Halas)   Before becoming owner/coach of the Chicago Bears, George Halas played for the NY Yankees. When I was growing up I wanted to be a fire fighter, but what I never dreamed of became my “dream” job… being a pastor.  How has it been for you…an enjoyable occupation…a dream job?  TV’s “Dirty Jobs” shows that people can enjoy a variety of work, if they set their mind to it.    ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:  Well stated and true for my life!!====JACK:  Had you ever considered another occupation before choosing the ministry?  Like being a race car driver?====REV:  I did consider a bowling career . . . from being a professional bowler to management of a bowling establishment . . . however, 4 years of Bible college convinced me otherwise.====JACK:  As a child, I remember being told that thunder was the sould of bowling pins being knocked over in heaven.  It looks as thought you have a job waiting for you "up there."

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  I also was fortunate to have my dream job; starting my own mfg company.====JACK:  Was playing for the Univ of Iowa basketball team a dream come true, also?

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Some people, such as those in pro sports, are fortunate to make a living by playing a game they are good at.  Others are able to turn their work into play.  In either case, talent and believing in what you do seems to be the key to enjoying it.  I've known people who really dislike their jobs, and every day go to work dreading it.  What a sad situation to endure.====JACK:  "TGIF" and "The Grind," are commentaries on how some people see their jobs.

FROM MY LAWYER:  I grew up wanting to become a pastor!!!  Where did I go wrong??? ====JACK:  Think about this...If everyone was a pastor, or, If everyone was a lawyer.  Chaos.  Each of us has a niche, and you seem to have found yours.

FROM QUILTING CAROL:  Some days this is really true. How do people know when to die to ‘interfere’ with something else you’d rather be doing than serving their funeral luncheon, but in the end what you wanted to do wasn’t as important as what you were called to do – serve others/love someone as much as you love yourself.
I wanted to be a teacher in my ‘real’ life and went to teacher’s training for it, but it never happened as I had planned.  I used those teaching skills with our children, grandchildren and with adults teaching in many different ways than in a classroom setting.  Those skills taught to me have brought me lots of pleasures without ever being a ‘professional’ – and still do.  Yes, much of it has to do with how you set your mind to work.  A smile every day can do wonders!  Have a terrifically fun day!====JACK:  Dr Seuss had it right..."It's moving day, and no one is more bummed than Julian Jeremy Jaroo Jalloo. But when The Cat in the Hat appears, Julian is whisked away on a magical elevator ride to meet all (or as many as he can meet in 24 minutes) of the interesting and whimsical people who may be in his future."  Circumstances caused our paths to cross "50" years ago.  Oh, the people you'll meet..."

FROM DM IN LIV:  Great timing!  I needed this one today.====JACK:  God moves in mysterious ways.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  My first inclination was to be a nurse; even had my roommate signed on; I was a Nurse's Aide during my Senior year of H.S. and felt very useful and appreciated. But my Dad, an Augie grad, convinced me to try one year at Augustana, and of course I loved it, and loved teaching music and Literature for 25 yrs. as well. It helped put three kids through college, too! (Two of whom also grad. from Augie ...) Bill played football briefly under George Halas. He was a tough coach!! But much respected.====JACK:  As I recall, one of the coaches for the Bears encouraged Bill to go into the ministry.  Given the prevalence of debilitating head injuries connected with football, Bill made the right choice for more than one reason.====OAKS:  And the pay for "knocking heads" ((with leather helmets!) was minimal in those days!!

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  I always new that my career would be art-associated. Formal education was in commercial art and my first job out of school was Art Director of a Davenport Department Store. Dream job. And then to Art Director at an ad agency. Dream job. On to Advertising Manager for a couple of national companies. Dream Jobs. Finally back to the agency business as an Account Executive. Dream Jobs. And then my own shop. Along the way, the drawing board became less and less but the background served me well. The Agency was the ultimate Dream Job. And now it's Children's Books. Getting them published is a nightmare!. But it's still a dream.


No comments: