Monday, June 20, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 6/20/16
“My father always used to say that when you die, if you’ve got five real friends, then you’ve had a great life.”  (Lee Iacocca)  On this day after Father’s Day, are there any sayings that come to mind when you think of your father?  I remember sitting with my father, when I was a kid, asking him to tell me more about what is was like when he was growing up…like when he played baseball against 3-Finger Brown.  Do you have any dad sayings or stories?    ;-)  Jack

FROM YOOPER PREACHER:  During courtship:  “Nothing good happens after midnight.” ====JACK:  I laughed at that one.

FROM TARMART REV:  This years mostly tears . . . I must be getting a little more sentimental in my older age!!====JACK:  Do you remember when dad used to be referred to as "the old man?"  When did you become "the old man?"

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Did he get any hits off of Mordecai?====JACK:  I can't remember if he did, or not.  But, he was a good ballplayer...a 1st baseman.  BTW, have you ever baptized anyone named, Mordecai?

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  When I was 7 or 8 my Dad said to me as he was shaving, "George, a Winner never quits and a Quitter never wins." It's stayed with me ever since.====JACK:  It served you well, both in basketball and business, didn't it?

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  My father was always a kind person and a busy person   He enjoyed life and worked hard and had lots of friends.  He was like that until his death.  He told the story about the day that I was born when he was playing in a baseball game.  The guys didn't tell him until after the game they all pulled out cigars and started smoking.====JACK:  That's a great story...I can see it in my mind.  Puff  Puff  Hooray for DeTaeye!

FROM JT IN MILWAUKEE:  I was told that on his closing days, my Dad said, "I'm 100 percent for Jesus." Let's say "Amen" to that on this 62nd ordination anniversary.====JACK:  100% for Jesus!  What a great remembrance!  Faith of our fathers, living still!  ...the Augustana fathers, too...Lars Esbjorn, T.N. Hasselquist, Conrad Bergendoff and the rest.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  today "3-finger brown" would be construed as bullying... js.====JACK:  Nicknames are bullying?  Ask your dad about "Stinky" Trevarrow.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Our dad had "eagle eyes"!  He was born and raised in Grayling, Michigan.  He could spot a snake wiggling in the grass or a trout in the AuSable a normal person could never see.  He knew every species of tree, bird, reptile, fish and plant!  He patiently pointed out everything in our walks with us kids.      His father died of pneumonia when my dad was 14.  My grandmother took over the Poor Farm as cook, caretaker and housekeeper.  My dad became the one to keep meat of the table for the people living there.  It was a huge building with two floors.  (After it was closed and reopened as a Eagles Club, it was hit by a tornado and the top floor was completely removed).      He loved the Lord and everyone around him.  He was very special!====JACK:  It was a really great day when God thought up the idea of creating memory.

FROM MK:  Wow your Dad was a professional ball player?   You are an incredibly interesting person do you know that?====JACK:  His team was semi-pro.  A group of major leaguers (including 3-Finger) barnstormed through my dad's town (Galesburg, IL) and had a games with his team...the No. 6 Cigars.  How's that for a team name?

No comments: