Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 6/15/16
“Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.”  (Raymond Lindquist)  I like the movie, What About Bob, especially the scene where Bob teaches Siggy to dive.  Do you remember learning to dive, or to swim, for that matter?  Scary!  There’s comfort in staying with the familiar.  As kids, we’d prod others to take risks by calling them, Scaredy Cats.  I like the Bible verse, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”  God is a real help when we’re afraid.    ;-)  Jack

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Good words, Jack.  I almost drowned as a 10 year old kid. Saw an Errol Flynn pirate movie and on the way home went swinging by myself on a rope over Barnard's Pond near where I grew up. I got caught trying to put the rope on a tree step and it pulled me into the water. I cried for help and Rev. Black was tending his garden on top of the hill. He came and rescued me.  I determined to learn to swim next year by myself at Riverside Pool - and I did it.====JACK:  Circumstances often often cause us to become who we are.  I learned to swim the safe way...at the Moline Y.  That was my growing up place in so many ways.

FROM DM IN IN LIV:  So true!  God is always my help when I am afraid.====JACK:  I remember the story how Jesus calmed the storm when the disciples were so afraid.  There are various kinds of storms in this life.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I was surprised when I retired from Junior High teaching, my Jazz choir gave me a plaque with my picture and them, with the inscription "I can do all thing through Christ who Strengthens me" with the scripture notation. They said they would always think of me and that verse; This was public school! Amazing !!

No comments: