Monday, April 18, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 4/18/16
“The future belongs to those who prepare for it today.”  (Malcolm X)  It’s strange, but I recall where I was when I heard that Malcolm X was assassinated.  The 60’s were tumultuous times, and he was part of it.  It’s been said that “we are who we were.”  The events of over 50 years ago still influence America, and today’s events will echo into the future.  It’s the same way with our lives.  Our tomorrows are being shaped by our today.  Let’s ponder that!    ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:  "Our tomorrows are being shaped by our today."  Remembering that today as I've been called by Railroad Chaplains USA to drive two hours to Wadena, MN to console a family losing their 16 year old daughter hit and killed along with her pet dog while walking along the railroad tracks.  What I've discovered thus far by Googling on FB, a seemingly sweet young lady. She was well liked and a member of the Future Farmers of America chapter there in her home town. I'll give you an update tomorrow.  I was surprised to hear from them. Its been over a year since the last call. That was the train/bus accident up by Grand Forks in North Dakota.====JACK:  While we should plan for tomorrow, we should not be overly concerned about it.  Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount...  "So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today."

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  One of my hero's is Booker T. Washington, who promoted racial equality by "Work, Work, Work," and not "agitate, agitate, agitate".====JACK:  I agree that Booker is a great role model, but I do smile at how you are able to work your agenda.  I hope you will pardon my agitation.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  did you ever read his life's story in the book entitled Malcolm X?   i think that was the title.  a very sobering insight into what it was like to grow up in Harlem (and in prison) and how he came to despise America and how he became a Muslim?   very insightful reading.====JACK:  That's why I wrote, "we are who we were."  Often we're quick to pass judgment on people without knowing the whole story.  Given other circumstances, his life might have turned out differently.  The same goes for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.====SP:  i once saw an amazing program entitled, You Are What You Were When!  the thesis was this:  we all have a value system that governs most of our life and it tends to solidify somewhere in our mid to late twenties.  hence the title, You are what you were when your value system became "set"  and those values will stay with you for the rest of  your life.  i this this is all very true...====JACK:  After writing the Winning Words and receiving some responses, I took time to review my life….IT’S TRUE!  I am who I was.

FROM FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR:  I remember the 60's well!  The time has come today ...................... ====JACK:  Today is tame (by comparison).

FROM DAZ IN DENVER:  To me the 60 s were the Apollo program, lunar landing and later Apollo 13. But I do remember tanks on the freeway over pass when I went to work. I like the Apollo memory better.====JACK:  The moon landing (and return) was scary and thrilling at the same time ...to hear you tell it.

No comments: