Friday, April 15, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 4/15/16
“No water, no life.  No blue, no green.”  (Sylvia Earle)  In trying to understand how blue and yellow become green, I came across the word, disambiguation, “making sense of something.”  Do you have some puzzlers?  Are you looking for a disambiguator to give you some answers?  Back to the color theme…How can the blues (sadness) turn into the greens (gladness)?  I read of one way: “Try hanging out with people who make you forget to look at your phone.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  What is this thing that people constantly walk around looking at their phone.  I can't  stand it!  Mothers taking children to school pay no attention to them.====JACK:  It's like sitting at the computer all day, and who wants to do that?  I've seen it in church, too.  BTW, do you have an I Phone?

FROM HAPPY TRAILS IN NOVA SCOTIA:  Disambiguation or bafflegab? that is a choice that seems mostly to be made in favor of the latter.  Choices remind me of a line I have always enjoyed by Max Shulman (I think it might be from Barefoot Boy with Cheek). Around 1940 or so, the protagonist falls for an American Communist and goes with her to one of their cell meetings. There, the firebrand leader says something like “We have to decide whether to continue to grovel in the slime of reaction, or march up the People’s Road to the Sun!” I have dropped that (unidentified) into conversations a few times over the years, and enjoyed the reactions.====JACK:  Bafflegab!  I like it.  We're hearing a lot of it during our political campaigning...which will go until Nov, and probably beyond.

FROM TARMART REV:  “Try hanging out with people who make you forget to look at your phone.” -- Will work on that, Jack!!====JACK:  I seem to recall that you have an I Phone.  Have you developed the habit of regularly checking it for something important?

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Happiness is a frame of mind. Get out your miter box.====JACK:  Do you mean that happiness is a picture frame?  I thought that happiness is a warm puppy.

No comments: