Monday, December 07, 2015

Jack’s Winning words 12/7/15
“Everyone joins a band in this life.  Only some of them play music.”  (Mitch Albom – The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto)  I really like Mitch’s new book.  It says that we all belong to many groups (bands) in this lifetime.  Start with the family…What others that have influenced you?  Our Winning Words Band is one that’s important to me.  But, there are so many more.  Jake and Elwood saw “the band” as a mission from God.  Bands can be like that.    :-)  Jack  

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Your WW are an important band to me too. The Blues Brothers movie was wonderful, in my opinion. One year we watched it in our Monday night movie Bible study at Emmanuel and it generated great discussion and sharing.====JACK:  Showing "The Blues Brothers" at a Bible study?  I like it, because it does have a :biblical" message.  We indeed are on a Mission from God.  What is it?  And, how can we accomplish it?

FROM TARMART REV:  Reminded of the Salvation Army Band--====JACK:  I always look for them in the annual New Year's Day Rose Parade.  They're a good message.

FROM YOOPER BOB:  Thanks!    My top four bands are:   family,  evangelism,  community development and historic and cultural preservation.====JACK:  Do they have bands in the African places where you work?  If so, what kinds?====BOB:  Alleluia, Yes.    They range from hollow tree branches, to animal skins stretched across a barrel, to metal drums, to numerous guitars,  to native instruments of which I do not know the name.  Band music normally includes swaying of your body,  shuffling of your feet  and in weddings or other parties  real dancing.  If it is simply band music, not vocal, hand clapping usually accompanies the beat.   It is a fun and lively culture to be in. ====JACK:  Then, I guess you can add the Africans to your list of bands.

FROM JT IN MICHIGAN:  Good morning.  Mitch Albom is a special writer.  I was going to pick up the book at Costco the other day but didn't.  I will now.====JACK:  For me, it was one of the books that I could hardly put down.

FROM SB IN MICHIGAN:  Thank you for your “Winning Words.” I’m a Mitch Albom fan, too, and look forward to reading his latest book.====JACK:  Maybe Santa Claus will bring you a copy.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We are in numerous bands.  Some we are drum majors, some we play instruments and some we are conductors.====JACK:  Who's the drum major in your house?

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Certainly the band of family, the band of good health care we all are blessed to have access to, band of friends, band of work to do, and recreation  to enjoy, and yes, good books, enrich our lives immeasurably!! I've read all of Mitch Albom's, and look forward to this one! Your WW are a treaseured daily band!!====JACK:  In Sunday School, when I was a child, there was a separate time when we would come together (maybe on a Saturday) to learn about missionaries.  The group was called the Junior Mission Band.  Try doing that today!

FROM ANNE IN WATERFORD:  Certainly, the senior groups.  They gave me so much. ====JACK:  Did the Mature Minglers ever have an actual musical band?  I remember that they loved to dance, especially Betty P.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your WW are an important band to me too. The Blues Brothers movie was wonderful, in my opinion. One year we watched it in our Monday night movie Bible study at Emmanuel and it generated great discussion and sharing.
S.H. in MI