Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 12/30/15
“Time is more valuable than money.  You can get more money, but you cannot get more time.”  (Jim Rohn)  I read last week that ½ of 1% of Americans have as much money as the lower 90%.  So…?  They all have 24 hours a day, and no amount of money can buy more.  Steve Jobs said, “Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn’t matter to me.”  Loretta Lynn wrote in Coal Miner’s Daughter, “We were poor, but we had love.”  What do you value?    ;-)  Jack

FROM MP:  I value your friendship.====JACK:  "You just call out my name  And you know wherever I am  I'll come running, oh yeah baby, to see you again  Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you've got to do is call  And I'll be there, ye, ye, ye  You've got a friend."

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  Love this quote. I think it may describe you.  " The whole secret of life is to be interested in one thing profoundly and in a thousand things well. "  (Horace Walpole) ====JACK:  I'll take that as a compliment.  Pastoral training teaches us to care about our congregation as a whole and to care about each individual in particular.

FROM TARMART REV:  ...'time and eternity' as often heard... spending one with the other in mind! ====JACK:  "This world is not my home, I'm just-a passin' through."

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  :-)====JACK:  Do you know this Gershwin song?
"I got plenty o'nothin' and nothin's plenty for me
I got no car, got no mule, I got no misery
Folks with plenty of plenty, they got a lock on the door
Afraid somebody's gonna rob 'em while they're out a'makin' more
What for?
I got no lock on the door, that's no way to be
They can steal the rug from the floor, that's OK with me
'cause the things that I prize, like the stars in the skies, are all free
Say, I got plenty o'nothin' and nothin's plenty for me
I got my gal, got my song, got heaven the whole day long
Got my gal   Got my love  Got my song"

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Steve Jobs quote about being the richest man in the cemetery is one I've never heard.  It's brilliant!  Being the richest man in the world doesn't interest me...except, if I was, I could divvy it up and pass it around.  That, I suppose, is an expression of love.====JACK:  We can all have our dreams.  You sound like Tevye.  "If I were a rich man - I wouldn't have to work hard - I see my wife looking like a rich man's wife - The most important men in town would come to fawn on me! - I'd have the time that I lack To sit and pray."  ...but you're rich in other ways, so celebrate that!

FROM THE REPORTER:  Woke up with a whole day ahead of me worrying about the bills instead of being grateful for the day. It always reminds me of the old man in The Milagro Beanfield War, if you've seen it, when he wakes up and says something to the effect of 'I'm alive. Thank God for giving me another day.'  So, thanks for this. Sometimes your timing is impeccable!====JACK:  The bills will still be bills, but sometimes we need to step back and prioritize life.  "Dear God, I am thankful for (make your own list)...."

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Christ, "from whom all blessings flow."====JACK:  In the Parable of the Good Samaritan, Jesus said that the first step on the way to heaven is to love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, soul, strength and mind!"

FROM HUNGRY HOWIE:  Jack. I read somewhere that money matters to happiness up to something like 50,000 a year and then it doesn't. I guess that means as long as you have enough to pay the bills then your happiness is  no longer dependent on money.  However the problem is not that, it's that the current system doesn't promote the ability to get out of poverty. Or allow for a robust middle class. It is an unfair system. In that I agree with Bernie Sanders.====JACK:  Many of the jobs that made for a middle-class have gone away...probably never to return.  Something new has to be invented.  Cutting up the pie in different size slices sounds like a good idea, until the pie slicer is named and he/she starts cutting.

FROM FM IN WISCONSIN:  John sent to a host of folks!====JACK:  You are like the sower in the parable that Jesus told.

FROM DS, A FRIEND OF FM:  Time is really all of value that we really have.  The rest is a side show.  Best we enjoy our days as best we can with out infringing upon others in any negative way. ====JACK:  After reading your response, my brain directed me to the words of Hippocrates:  "Make a habit of two things: to help; or at least to do no harm."

FROM TRIHARDER:  Well, hopefully AS valuable --  we sell our time/skills (or lack of them) for money.====JACK:  Time is money!  So are skills.  I think it was Mark Twain who said, "I never trust a man who uses his mouth to make money."  Lawyers are in that category.  So are preachers.  And so was Mark Twain.====TH:  It's all about supply and demand of various skills. Very few NFL players, Lots of money. Many brain surgeons in comparison, not as much money. It shows you the values of our society.

FROM THE PILOT:  I could have been a captain years ago Jack. There is a reason I'm not, and it has everything to do with today's ww! I've enjoyed our year Jack. I thank you!  I'm blessed!====JACK:  We can celebrate the times when we've made the right choices.  The bad ones?  Let's leave them in the past, like we'll be leaving 2015.





No comments: