Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 12/23/15
“Adversity?  We’ve always got that.  We always look at that as an opportunity to show the steel in our spine.”  (Jim Harbaugh)  The question isn’t whether you’ll meet adversity; it’s about how you’ll meet it when it comes.  Some people told me of their pastor who was born with no arms.  He eats with his feet and has even painted his house.  Adversity has changed my life and challenged me not to give in.  What’s it done for people you might know…or you?    ;-)  Jack

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  taught me to keep on keepin' on!====JACK:  Everybody has a story...which tends to make us who we are.  You have yours; I have mine.  

FROM HONEST JOHN:  You have to do some losing in order to learn how to win====JACK:  It can be a hard lesson to learn....sometimes losing can be winning.  In retrospect, some of what I wanted and didn't get, turned out to be the best gift.  Thank you God!====JOHN:  (My debate coach) Prof Holcomb met my partner and I after the Phi Beta Kappa award ceremonies and said, "Congratulations.   That means you are smart.   So are the people you are debating.   Better work harder than them if you want to beat them."    Wins aren't guaranteed.   You have to work for them...and even then you might lose.....====JACK:  Even losers can be winners when they do their best.  One of the things that bothers me about Trump is he when puts people down by calling them "losers."

FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  For me it means that my faith grows stronger and I  know that the Lord will be walking with me in all situations.====JACK: The often-quoted poem, "Footprints in the Sand," is said to have its origin in an 1871 hymn, Footprints of Jesus, composed by Mary Slade.  The premise is that the believer and Jesus can (and do) inhabit the same space at the same time.  So, as you wrote, the Lord can (and will) be walking with you in all situations....A comforting thought.

FROM TARMART REV:  Greater accomplishments . . . I personally feel it has been my insufficiencies (often only regarded by me as such) that has driven me to excel in those challenging fields better than I would have if left without the challenge. With the fear of sounding too self-serving-- I've always looked upon myself as a half-empty cup, but a willing vessel of service to any degree He would place me in His kingdom of ministry====JACK:  It's OK to sound self-serving once in awhile, as long as you don't make a habit of it.  You really are a good pastor!!!!!

FROM JB IN WXM:  LOVE turning on my I-pad daily and receiving your 'Winning Words'. Gives me something to ponder throughout the day.====JACK:  Be sure to access the Blog occasionally to see how some people are responding to the thought for the day.  The number of responses yesterday was at an all-time high.  Merry Christmas to you and your family.  I'm glad that we have been able to reconnect.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I encountered a little adversity yesterday, when I hit a pavement divider, while fiddling with my radio to get some Christmas music, on the way to a party. disabled my car for the next few days, which is a terrible time to be without a car!!  What to do but laugh at your stupidity, and take it in stride ...and pocketbook! :-(  But still love the Christmas Season!====JACK:  "You better watch out; you better not pout..."  Well, at least, you weren't texting while driving.

FROM ART:  Another great one, Jack.  Thanks.====JACK:  It's Jim Harbaugh's birthday today.  Did you remember to send him a card?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Don't we all have issues and troubles?  Hopefully, we learn, we grow and we deal with them with grace and the help of God.====JACK:  Some burdens seem totally unfair.  The book, "Why Do Bad Things Happen To Good People?" expresses a question that many people have.

OM CHAPLAIN PT:  Thanks for your messages of encouragement and hope in an increasingly sinister world.====JACK:  The Bible says that the devil comes after us like a roaring lion.  Now, that's sinister.  We all need encouragement.

No comments: