Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 12/2/15
“Hard work spotlights the character of people: Some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses and some don’t turn up at all.”  (Sam Ewing – baseball player)  A song by Meg Mac is “Roll Up Your Sleeves,” meaning—Face life head on, including the difficulties.  Things are going to be OK.  Sam Ewing began his MLB career by facing Nolan Ryan and striking out 4 times; but he didn’t give up.  In difficult times, “roll up your sleeves.”  Don’t give up!    ;-)  Jack

 FROM CG:  How perfect for today when I need volunteers for the gift wrapping party - thanks ====JACK:  Focus on the ones who do show up and be thankful for them.

FROM NORMAN IN INDIANA:  Good one Jack, there are just too few of us of us.  Too many pessimists out there, tuff deadly with them.  I guess that's why I was in the optimist club.  Is J L playing Santa this year?====JACK:  A Jewish Santa shows that the Optimists don't discriminate.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Love this quote.  We all have to grab a bat and swing away...everyday.  God is the grand stand!====JACK:  I thought that God was the umpire.

FROM EB:  I do appreciate you daily pithy sermonettes.  What a beautiful ministry to all of us.  It is getting harder to be on survival goals, right?====JACK:  I have to say that writing/sending Winning Words energizes me.  If the preacher isn't energized, the sermon will usually show it.

FROM TARMART REV:  ...have thought about giving up a couples of times in the past regarding ministry...glad now I didn't!!====JACK:  The "call"  of God is hard to ignore.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  What a great quote!  Pretty much covers the spectrum! It does seem that the faithful few carry the burden of volunteering  to help.  The church is no exception to that, but Scouts, Schools, Little Leagues, and Nursing Homes, etc. all cry for more leadership and volunteer help! God Bless those who "roll up their sleeves"!!====JACK:  One of my favorite parables of Jesus is the one about using your talent, instead of burying it.

FROM CB IN MICHIGAN:  .  I know you live your life in gratitude and optimism.  I'm grateful for you and for Jack's Winning Words.====JACK:  No one is "up" all the time.  That's one reason why I try to send out an encouraging word each day.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  I like the phrase,  there are the workers,  the shirkers, and the jerkers (those that jerk the rug out from under the workers).  sort of the same idea.====JACK:  They can be found on both sides of the pulpit, at times.

No comments: