Friday, December 18, 2015

Jack’s Winning words 12/18/15
“Man loves company, even if it is only that of a small burning candle.”  (Georg  Lichtenberg)  We tend to associate candles with festive occasions…birthdays, special dinners, church services.  But the illumination of a single flickering candle has a way of touching the soul, of creating a religious experience.  The ancient monks would create candles made out of beeswax as a tie with nature and for the aroma.  What special candles do you remember in your life?    ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  The Paschal Candle is a powerful reminder.====JACK:  I think that we could do a better job explaining the meaning of the Paschal Candle.  I wonder what percentage of church members know the meaning of the word, Paschal?  Probably in the single digits.

FROM KF IN MICHIGAN:  I especially remember the candle-lined aisle from our December wedding at St. Paul's; we also still have the candle from the girls' baptisms. But the one I remember most is one during Silent Night at HSLC, and the boy in the children's choir (sitting in front of us) burning his sister's hair with it.......====JACK:  As much as I like the Christmas Eve candlelight service, I am ready to let it go in favor of small LED flashlights.  Since working with the Fire Dept, I am more and more aware of the danger of burning candles, especially when held by people in mass gatherings.  The thought of a little girl's hair going up in flames is one too many accidents for me.  The wedding unity candle is another accident waiting to happen.  Who says old people can't change?

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  good words for today, Jack.  have a restful weekend.====JACK:  I'll have to hunt up a candle for that restful weekend.

FROM TARMART REV:  There is One that Lights up the World that has fascinated me for well over 60 years now . . . especially here at the Christmas Advent season!!====JACK:  This "POP" song seems to fit.  "So many nights  I'd sit by my window,  Waiting for someone  To sing me his song.
So many dreams  I've kept deep inside me.  Alone in the dark  But now you've come along.
(Chorus):  And you  Light up my life.  You give me hope  To carry on."

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ;  never thought of a candle as company, but, strangely, it is true. i light one every night when i get home from work... soothing!====JACK:  If you were to give your candle a name, what would it be?====LIZ:  i have a candle collection. i alternate.  have you tried the candles w/wood wicks? they crackle like a fireplace. only one w/a name is my st jude candle. i buy my supply at the mexican walgreens. feliz navidad.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Advent Candles were always very significant to me, especially when I was young!  There was something so intriguing about the candles.  I felt Mary and Joseph were getting closer to the manger with every candle lit.   Today it's those candles and the ones I light every time my family has meals together.  The young ones expect a candle if they are eating breakfast, a snack or a big meal.  Then each one gets to blow out the candle.  That's very special to my heart. ====JACK:  I guess that in biblical days most of the light came from candles, or oil lamps.

FROM SHALOM JAN:  LOL - I remember the birthday cake candles that keep re-lighting for a children's message on Pentecost that my pastor, Ed Brown, used over 30 years ago.  I have since used that same way to tell children that, though many tried to "blow out" the Church, it never worked because the Holy Spirit has kept the faith alive.  And, of course, we always celebrated by eating the cake.  Shalom!====JACK:  Birthday cake candles are always fun...along with the wish.

FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  I hope you are not offended by my taking away from your very meaningful message, but as you know I do the radio show  & seminars titled: BRIGHT SIDE OF AGING & try to add humor to people's lives.  On that theme I have an "Ikeism" which I adopted  which says: "You know you're getting older when the candles on your birthday cake cost more than the cake."====JACK:  No offence...quite the contrary.  Some older people do have a humor-ous bone, besides the one in their arm.  One old person to another: "There's no way I could fit that many candles on my cake, so I just set the cake on fire."




No comments: