Monday, November 30, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 11/30/15
“The phrase, ‘Do not be afraid!’ is written in the Bible 365 times.  That’s a reminder from God to live every day being fearless.”  (Facebook)  Something told me to check out the 365.  Others did the same, and no one could verify the number.  So…Don’t believe all you see on Facebook.  But, I do like what one “checker” said.  “Once is enough for me.”  In those times when fear grabs hold of you, remember God’s word, “Do not be afraid; I am with you.”    ;)  Jack

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  fakebook!====JACK:  There's some good stuff on Facebook, too.  Discernment is the operative word.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  "Don't believe all you read on FB."  Should be one of your WWs.     They are words of great wisdom.====JACK:  Biblical literalism has the same danger.====JOHN:  The Bible is not the problem.   It is the way it is read ...as though it were a textbook and with the answers already in the mind of the reader.   FB is the problem.   It absolutely encourages lying.====JACK:  I try to be careful with "absolutes."  I try to find some good in everything, even Facebook====JOHN:  You are right.  FB can be a good thing but it does seem to give license to a lot of haters

FROM HY YO SILVER:  Wow. Clever.====JACK:  I like the words of Jesus to his disciples: "Be wise as serpents and harmless as doves."====HY YO:  Not familiar. Thanks for sharing.  It's interesting - I majored in the bible when I was at seminary for my BA. But I know so little of the New Testament.====JACK:  The study of the "Old" Testament and Oriental Philosophy has helped me to have a better understanding of the world today and its complexities.

FROM TARMART REV:  "Fear Not!" has always been an encouragement for me to follow, however many times it is written in God's Word (our Bibles)!? Assuming your Thanksgiving went well, Jack, onward now to Christmas!!====JACK:  Speaking of fear..."You better watch out....He's making a list and checking it twice."

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  I was afraid you were going to say that!====JACK:  Speaking of being afraid...Which do you want to hear first...the good news, or the bad?====JON:  I'd assume the best answer is there is neither good or bad, just news. If the news is beyond our control the order received should be of little concern.====JACK:  Except....when the doctor comes into the room and says, "I have some bad news."  Or, if he says, "I have some good news."  The difference (beyond our control) does make a difference.

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Coincidental that there are 365 days in a year?  Just need to remember not to be afraid on Feb. 29 every four years!====JACK:  God doesn't use a calendar.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  At Bible study last night, we were discussing the state of this world is so messed up morally.  We have teens and young adults in the mix.  I asked them how they thought about this world they were going to inherit and one girl 16, Molly,stated "We're screwed!"  Everyone laughed until one of the adults said, "God is in control and He tells us, 'Do not fear!'"====JACK:  Things change, and things stay the same....When I was a "Molly," I remember people saying that the world was messed up morally, and I remember that people were concerned about the world that their children would inherit.  Then, as now, the one in control is God.  Fear not.====JUDY:  We reminded the kids of how we had air raid drills and how we had to drop down, get under our desks and cover our heads !  There have always been bad times but we had many more morals back then... Until recently, we could rely on people to do the right thing.  Now however, we can't rely on those morals anymore. But our God is bigger than we can imagine.  He knows what we need and when we need it so we need not fear.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Interesting "fact" I'll use it for my S.S. thought for the day, at the head of my lesson sheet! As your checker said, if the count if "off", "once is enough"!  Most of the folks in my class are facing "The Pearly Gates", so living "fearless" has to be a focus!  I love a quote (sounds like Ann Lamott, or someone like her) I used recently: "Only when you come to the end, and leap out into the darkness, will you discover you have wings to fly!"  The Leap of faith" so to speak... ====JACK:  We have all had our fears in this life, from childhood to the present.  "What if?" usually precedes them.  Brother Lawrence wrote that we should "Practice the Presence of God."

No comments: