Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 11/17/15
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers; you will always find people who are helping.’” (Fred Rogers)  As I searched among the many quotes related to the Paris attack, Mr. Rogers words, resonated with me.  Fear, retaliation, sympathy, sadness could have been chosen.  Thank you first- responders, you who do what needs doing in emergencies, to help make the bad better.    ;-/  Jack  

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Wonderful WW. Sound perspective to have on things. Thanks. ====JACK:  It's too bad that all the good that done in the world everyday doesn't make the headlines.  But it is being done, and that's what's important, after all.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  you are a spiritual first responder!====JACK:  Being at the computer by 5 am each day, makes me an early responder, but not necessarily the first.

FROM TARMART REV:  Yes!! Definitely!! I'm sure there are many pastors and chaplains hard at work as well consoling and comforting folk along the way!====JACK:  I wonder if the Paris Police and Fire Departments have chaplains? Thinking they do...no proof of such, but have a strong notion they do.====JACK:  I haven't been able to find an answer. 

FROM MF:  As usual, your winning words are very timely today.  I'm not sure if I told you that my oldest son is an urban Firefighter, has seen more than anyone should see in a city so devastated by poverty.  Sunday night he responded to a drug deal gone bad with multiple victims suffering gunshots.  There was a delay in their response until police had secured the scene. His crew transported an innocent 8 y/o boy who had been shot twice, caught in crossfire.  The boy did not survive.  We do our best to help counsel him after these events, today's we'd help a lot.====JACK:  "Paris-type" events happen each day...and whether the casualties are hundreds, or one, tragedy is tragedy.  Our gratitude goes out to the responders.  Some of them have a slogan..."We run in when others are running out."

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Jack, I certainly enjoy your daily missives - gives a good start to my day.====JACK:  There's a hymn that I learned in Sunday School.  It helped lead me into the ministry.   "God calling yet! shall I not hear?  Earth's pleasures shall I still hold dear?  Shall life's swift passing years all fly,  And still my soul in slumbers lie?"  I see Winning Words as a response to God's continuing call to ministry.

FROM JB AT LSTC:  Amen====JACK:    I appreciate your support from the Amen Corner.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We need 1,000's of Mr. Rogers for the children to watch now-a-days! ====JACK:  I hear what you're saying.  But, before Fred Rogers, there was no Fred Rogers.  But God has a way of creating people to do his will at certain times and in certain places.  I liked Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans, too.

FROM BB IN ILLINOIS:  Wonderful heartwarming quote.  Thank you for sharing.====JACK:  There's lots of good stuff out there.  The trick is to find it among the chaff.  I'm glad you liked the one for today.  It's a favorite of mine, too.

FROM RF WHO RECENTLY INTERNED IN PARIS:  Luckily, the attacks didn't involve anyone I worked with. I was concerned at first because the attack at the bataclan was one block away from the store that my boss's husband owned, and right around where they lived. I was quick to get in touch with her. It has been such a difficult week reading about the attacks in Paris and Beirut. I appreciated your perspective in your email this morning.====JACK:  Wherever it might be, we are always living on the edge, whether we realize it, or not.  I've often quoted this poem...
 "The clock of life is wound but once  And no one has the power
To tell just when the hands will stop,  At late or early hour.  
Now is the only time you own;  Live, love, work, and with a will;
Place no faith in tomorrow, for  The clock may then be still."

FROM DR JUDY:  Lovely!!! If we shift our focus to look for the helpers, I hope that our world will also shift!====JACK:  I like the words of the old song.... "If we'd all say a prayer that the world would be free,  The wonderful dawn of a new day we'll see!  And, if everyone lit just one little candle,  What a bright world this would be!"  Sometimes we need to look in a mirror to see the helper.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:
Salman Rushdie may have a point, when he says, "There's no such thing as perfect security, only varying levels of insecurity."  It's just about impossible to  defend against an armed or suicidal opponent who is willing to die to be able to kill others. Amazing the havoc eight passionate gunmen can wreak on even a strong city, such as Paris.  Yet survivors gather around the wounded and families, and do what they can to help...Today's WW are certainly appropriate! Look for the blessings, such as the soccer-bomber's  fiasco. they could have taken so many live, had they been "on time"....====JACK:  We need to be reminded that even Jesus did not escape the death experience at the hands of "terrorists.  But through his death and resurrection, we have been shown the way to life beyond this life.  "Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

FROM MOLINER JT:  My prayer every night, Oh Lord, my life is in your hands !!====JACK:  It's sort of an adult way of praying, "Now, I lay me down to sleep...."  FROM CH ON CAPE COD:  Thank you.  Many Republican governors are succumbing to knee-jerk fear reactions.  (Regarding Syrian immigrants)  Makes one think of Jesus and Samaritans.  This morning, on NPR, the governor of Washington state spoke powerfully about leadership, remaining true to our values, screening robustly, but not doing what FDR did to Japanese Americans…   Look for helpers… Look for courageous voices…  Peace be with you!====JACK:  "Upon further review," as they say in the NFL, the Constitution does not allow states to overrule what is the prerogative of the Federal Govt... immigration laws.
 





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful WW. Sound perspective to have on things. Thanks,
S.H. in MI