Monday, October 05, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 10/5/15
“Sometimes we need someone to be there.  Not to fix anything or do anything in particular, but just to let us feel that we are cared for and supported.”  (Picture of Charlie and Snoopy) I must confess…I’ve never watched an episode of one of TV’s most popular sitcoms, Friends.  However I do like the message of the theme song: “I’ll be there for you.”  Carole King put it this way…“Just call out my name…I’ll be there…You’ve got a friend.”     “Here, Snoopy!”    ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  good words, Jack.  thanks.   going back to bed now...  forgot to mention:   what is the first thing God speaks out against in the Bible?    loneliness.  "it is not good that Adam should be alone."   we all need someone...====JACK:  The sermon I heard yesterday was on the importance of partnership...using that same text.

FROM TARMART REV: I did watch several re-runs years ago of Cheers! I felt the same about their theme-- "Where everybody knows your name!!====JACK:  That's probably the closest you've ever been to a bar.  Maybe that's another spot where you can "sit" wait to engage in some conversation.  Would the AG go along with that?====REV:  Stand by them quite often, either visiting with uncomfortable parishioners, folk within our community who are welcoming that I would stop by and say hello to them or the bar staff in wishing them a blessed day! Finding no problems here because of my outreach and friendships through chaplaincy work . . . however, I could name a few pastors in years past that might frown upon that. Remember, I spent ten years working in the bowling alleys while in high school and Bible college which most likely adds to my familiarity and comfortableness standing there.====JACK:  I've heard of some churches who have a bar ministry.  I know of one pastor who was ordained to "begin a church" using a bar as the place of worship...similar (but not the same) as you using a synagogue for the same thing.====REV:  I've read the same . . . some socializing by having a beer or two before the service begins . . . quite a stretch for an old Pentecostalist like me. Not the location, but in the indulgence . . . too many of my friends are alcoholic and too many 5th steps have been personally heard to want to partake, myself.====JACK:  You could have a root beer with your popcorn.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  Like.====JACK:   It's good to have a friend, even if it's a dog.  Maybe a dog like Snoopy is just what be need at certain like.  No judgments...just there.====LIZ:  i miss having a dog. have cat & cockatiel, tho.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  I have never watched Friends either.  But I love to watch Snoopy and Charlie Brown!====JACK:  A Charlie Brown Christmas never grows stale for me, although I've watched it every year since it was first shown.  This year will be the 50th Anniversary.  Can it be that long?

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I have never seen that show either.  But as we age we have to keep making new friends which can be interesting.  Most turn out to be younger, of course.  I have lost all of my walking partners and now walk with the daughter-and her dog Uggs- one of my best friends. ====JACK:  When I walk into a room nowadays, it's not unusual that I'm the oldest one there.  I do enjoy my friends, whatever their age might be.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Friends love us for who we are, not for who we aren't.  I  deeply thankful for my dear friends.====JACK:  "Friendship, friendship, just a perfect blendship!"

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  We certainly do, and when your beloved spouse is gone, you turn to best friends and family, which if you're lucky, fills that need. Trips, plays, concerts, games, meals,are all enjoyed much more with "someone" to share with! As Delilalh, radio host and mother of 12 (8 adopted) has said, "I feel the incredible sense of connection that comes when people share their lives with one another. To me, it's God using us to spread his love." Amen to that...====JACK:  "It is not good that man (or woman) shall be alone," says the Lord.

No comments: