Monday, October 19, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 10/19/15
“Life is about using the whole box of crayons.”  (RuPaul)  One of the fads of our time is the adult coloring book, with a box of many colored pencils.  Publishers say that the books promote anti-stress.  Did you know that there are also summer camps for adults…and pre-schools for adults, including glitter-paste sticks, playtime and naps?  Childhood memories tend to stay with us.  As I’ve written before, one of my Twilight Zone favorites is, “Kick the Can.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM WJM:  Love this! Thanks for your ministry.====JACK:  Playtime or naptime?  Which is the best?  BTW, I'm waiting for someone to comment on RuPaul.

FROM TARMART REV:  I just read it or heard the other day .  . . Someone said life can become so colored and another responded that the nice thing about that is we get to select the colors with which draw from.====JACK:  I always liked it when the crayons were new.  Now that I'm older, I see that there is still some use in the ones that have been discarded.====REV:  . . . especially while waiting at the doctors' offices for a check up, blood work or the yearly physicals.====JACK:  Every age is an age.  As the writer of Ecclesiastes says:  "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:  a time to be born and a time to die.  He has made everything beautiful in its time.  I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live."

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  I loved "Kick the Can!"  The people closest to me say that it's time I started growing up!====JACK:  Does that mean you taking the training wheels off of your bike?

FROM A GROWN UP CHILD:  I love my adult coloring book, and my tin filled with colored pencils! They don’t have that good “crayon smell,” but they still have fun names written on them;  like PARROT GREEN, GRASS GREEN or PEACOCK BLUE etc.  The difference between coloring when I was young, and coloring now though, is that when I was young it was pure fun, but as an adult I feel like I’m wasting time. That it’s not a good use of my time. (Takes a little bit of the fun out of it.)====JACK:  In "Kick the Can," those who didn't participate regretted it in the end.  There are also those who say that pursuing the arts (painting. music, dance, writing, etc) is a waste of time.  Think how "poor" this world would be without art museums, symphonies, operas, ballets and libraries?  3 cheers for adult coloring books,  adult pre-school and adult summer camp.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  what happens in that particular episode?====JACK:  Google it (Twilight Zone Kick the Can) and see for yourself.  It’s well worth watching.  Be sure to do it.  It will be better than my description.

FROM DR J:  My students still like to "color". There truly is something "magic" about Magic Markers!====JACK:  My first crayons were made by the Prang Company.  I liked them better than Crayola, because they were harder (not as oily).  As I remember, the box had a picture of Old Faithful on it.  No Magic Markers in those days.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Who is RuPaul, and how on Earth do you connect to Twilight Zone? Love the imagery of this quote; Make your life as colorful as you can. As I age I've opted for brighter colors, and more "bling"! Love the Fall Foliage these days! I love to color with great g.daughter, Avery who is five. She really is into markers, metallic crayons, paints, etc. Fun!  Don't have time for "adult" coloring so far!====JACK:  RuPaul is a famous actor, drag queen and singer.  I'm surprised that you haven't heard of him.  He teamed with Elton John in the song, "Don't Go Breaking My Heart."  If you can "Google," you can get Twilight Zone episodes.  Do you make it a point to stay inside the lines when you color?

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  To each his own.  But it seems that there are a lot more interesting things to do in life. Maybe it has something to do with five children 18 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren. Plus a  love of travel.====JACK:  It sounds as though you've found the secret of the T Z's "Kick the Can."  It is possible to be young again, when you know what young again means.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Most of my crafts in my craft rooms are just kids stuff but very expensive....card making, stamping, scrapbook  making (cutting and pasting) but they are fun and keep me busy.  I "use the whole box!"  I love when the grandkids come over and they "help" me be a kid again!!!====JACK:  What do they think about Grandma's outhouse collection?====JUDY:  They love the outhouse bathroom.  And they all think I'm a little nuts.  Josh's youth group wanted me to come to their meeting for my birthday!

FROM DAZ IN COLORADO:  I've recently found colors I didn't know existed.====JACK:  Crayola has let children name some of their new colors.  One is Macaroni and Cheese Yellow.










1 comment:

pastorbill said...

Jack,

Love this! Thanks for your ministry