Thursday, May 28, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 5/28/15
“The shortest verse in the Bible is ‘Jesus wept!’  The only thing wrong with it is the past tense.”  (Randy K. Milholland)  You may know that Jesus wept when he heard that his friend Lazarus had died.  Jesus was human.  There’s a song that asks how Jesus would act if he walked on earth today.  He’d still cry with those who are mourning the death of a loved one…because he cares.  Milholland seems to see other reasons for tears.  What reasons do you see?    ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:  It seems the older I get, tears come so easily as I honor my adult children. Noticed this at their weddings, especially more recently at our son's.====JACK:  Lemony Snicket wrote: "The sea is a library of all the tears in history."  You must have added a book at the wedding.
====REV:  Probably a splash or two because I dammed it up a bit . . . but it was about to break and over-flow!!

FROM KS IN MICHIGAN:  Good Morning Jack- I tend to think that he would weep because of his love of us and the sorry state of people in the world….with their choices, beliefs, actions along with their pain and suffering as a result of whatever.====JACK:  We cry for a variety of reasons... joy, sadness, laughter, frustration, nostalgia.  Crying is a sign of feelings.  I suppose it's the same for God.

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  There's not enough space here to list all the reasons that might drive us to tears these days.====JACK:  Yes, but don't forget to list reasons for tears of joy.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  There are myriad reasons for tears in our chaotic, suffering world, especially in Africa, and the Middle East, but we can't just focus on that: there are also so many philanthropic wealthy families today, and heartwarming, caring people who do good in our world, and friends and family to give special joys every single day.  It is a joy to know that a loving God cares about all of our ups and downs; I'm counting on Him to undergird me as  I tackle the  overwhelming job of cleaning out my big lake home,  and making the move to a small brick bungalow, near my eldest son, closer to church, etc .Hopefully, tears on my behalf won't be necessary!  Thankful for health and strength each new day... ====JACK:  As you write about your overwhelming job...I look over at the wall to the left of my computer and see things that have memories for me...a painting of the Quinlan Ferry...a ticket for a ride on the Bobs...a sign from the lobby of the 5th Ave Building...a Defense Savings Bond that I bought 12/6/1941...Sallman's head of Christ that was a wedding gift...and more!  And, that's just one wall.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  That is the Bible verse Clem memorized for Confirmation!  He did it because it was the shortest verse in the Bible!  Ha!====JACK:  He probably never forgot it, either.  A woman once told me that while she was lying on a gurney waiting for cancer surgery, she repeated many of the Bible verses and parts of Luther's Catechism that she had been "forced" to learn during Catechism instruction.  They just came to her "out of the blue," and she was so thankful.====GM:  This is most certainly true!

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  Where to begin?====JACK:  I guess I'll begin with how the story of "the rich man and Lazarus" is repeated day after day after day..

No comments: