Thursday, May 14, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 5/14/15
“Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.”  (John Muir)  A friend of mine is a relative of JM, the famous naturalist.  Of course this quote is about hiking…or is it?  The old-fashioned dirt road symbolizes a slower pace of life.  Where have those roads appeared in your life experience?  Personally, I’m a round-a-bout fan, and I love the freeways.  But, I also see value in going at a slower pace and seeing what’s missed by taking the fast lane..    ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:  Grew up with a lot of dirt and gravel roads in Kansas . . . always seemed to get to my destination though . . . sometimes it was a little rough and dusty . . . but got there just the same. ====JACK:  While once visiting in Kansas, I rode with a pastor on one of those gravel roads.  It seemed as though he was trying to imitate a NASCAR racer.  I'm surprised that you Kansan country drivers live to see another day.====REV:  True story...left Highway 71 on the Missouri side of the state line heading north to Kansas City and decided to cut across country to the west and stop by and say hello to my grandparents at their farm outside Beagle, Kansas . . . In short order, from a major 4-lane highway, to a state highway, to an asphalt road, to a broken asphalt road, to a gravel road and finally after coming around a  curve in the road, I ended up in a cornfield...I just sat there for a moment and laughed out loud...that's what one gets driving without a map on country roads in Kansas.====JACK:  I laughed, and I wasn't even there.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: When I wrote my song, “My Old Reynoldsburg” I found the unique perspective from walking through the old neighborhood, perhaps it’s not just the road but also the mode of transportation.  It’s hard to see a lot of great things from a car.  And even harder to stop and chat with folks.  I think the dirt road analogy is a good one... ====JACK:  John Muir might never have become a naturalist if he'd gone every place in a car.  Our choices each day affect our tomorrows, just as "Old Reynoldsburg" had an affect on you.

FROM ST. PAUL IN ST. PAUL: good thoughts for today, Jack.   thanks...    I used to hike every June with the men of the church up on the North Shore of Lake Superior.  the Superior National Forest Trail that run from Duluth all the way to t he Canadian border, over 200 miles.   just a gorgeous (and challenging) hike!====JACK:  "Used to" become the defining words for most of us as we become older than dirt.   

FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  You would hate round-a-bouts if you lived here.  There is one every half mile, I prefer a traffic light, you can pause to look around!  Country lanes are idyllic and at this time of year lined with bluebells, flowering hedgerows and birds singing------perfect.====JACK:  I'd really have a problem, going into those round-a-bouts, driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  On the "dirt road" things generally are closer to view and you see a lot more.  The dearth of traffic enables you to stop along the way and concentrate on what's there too.  Everyone says "getting there is half the fun" so why get there so fast?  Slow down and enjoy the experience.====JACK:  I think that you and John Muir would make good hiking buddies.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  My youngest sister is turning 60 this year.  It was her and her husband's  dream to cross the Grand Canyon from down one side, cross the bottom, and to hike up the other side.  They leave June 4.  Her Dream certainly isn't my dream.  But we are all very happy she is living one of hers.  My husband and I  have traveled to every state in the United States and love to take the road less travelled: in fact, we are now tracking the counties we go through!====JACK:  If they had an elevator, I'd think about doing that Grand Canyon thing, too.

FROM LBP IN PLYMOUTH:  I figured I was taking the path less traveled (not yet paved). But taking it slow, getting into nature, and paving your own way are all good notions.====JACK:  I have a hard time imagining you going anywhere without first having an idea of where you were heading.  But, maybe you were just feeding your wild side.====LBP:  I like a good meandering stroll. Sometimes you find cool things when you wander.====JACK:  Dirt path words that I like are amble and saunter.

FROM SB IN MICHIGAN:  Your “Winning Words” today reminded me of my early days at John Muir Elementary School in Parma, Ohio.====JACK:  My elementary school was named after Washington Irving.  I liked his writing.

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  I agree with you and spend a lot of time cracking my buggy whip. The Amish may have something here.====JACK:  Aren't the Amana Colonies populated by the Amish?  I always liked to go there for their fabulous meals.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  It's pretty on the golf course almost any time of year...but yes, we all need times of slower pace to rejuvenate and refresh!  There are some dirt/gravel roads around our lake!  "Heaven seems a little bit closer, in a house beside the water!"====JACK:  You've probably visited the lovely woods, the water, and the sand on your golf course.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  The slow roads are definitely the best and the most beautiful for driving in Florida.  BTW  have just finished James McCullough's new book The Wright Brothers.  I was surprised to read that both the bike shop and the home of the brothers had been moved to the museum in Dearborn.  Have you seen it?  I don't remember it from our three years in Michigan.====JACK:  Yes, I've seen the bike shop and have been inside.  Henry Ford was friend of the Wright Bros and paid to have their shop moved to that part of the museum, called Greenfield Village.  He also has one of Edison's labs on the grounds.  You can Google--Greenfield Village--and see some other interesting historical stuff.

FROM MW IN ILLINOIS:  My memories of dirt roads are when Dick & I began camping and visiting many state parks with 3 sons. It was always so   peaceful & quiet, with just the birds singing. My favorite trip was to the Grand Canyon, absolutely awesome.====JACK:   Personally, I look for the Hampton Inn, closest to the Grand Canyon.

No comments: