Friday, May 01, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 5/1/15
“You can’t start the next chapter in your life if you keep re-reading the last one.”  (Michael McMillan)  There are mixed opinions about Joel Osteen’s theology, but he does have a way of relating to the needs of many people.  When he says, “You’ve got to make a decision to move on,” he’s talking to people who can’t turn the page.  Osteen says, “God knows your situation.  He will help.”  It’s not the greatest song, but “My God and I” says that God is with us.    ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:  Knowing it's “My God and I” can cause one to "whistle while he works!! ====JACK:  Required reading in seminary was the book, Practicing the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence.  It tells how a monk experienced the presence of God daily, even when he was scrubbing pots and pans in the kitchen.

FROM LS IN MICHIGAN:  Your words were received on point for me today - once again I thank you and smile as the universe brings me what I need - when I need it.====JACK:  In the past, we may have made a decision to move on, but sometimes, because of new circumstances, we need to be encouraged again to "move on."  Just so we keep movin'...that's what's important.

ROM CA IN MICHIGAN:  Your quotes are awesome and I appreciate receiving them.  I  met you several years ago, and I have been blessed since with these "words of Wisdom".====JACK:  The quotes come from a variety of sources...my commentary expresses how they come across to me.  Your response is how both quote and commentary are seen by you.  I like our meetings--both e-mail and face-to-face.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Learn something new each day.  And-keep moving.====JACK:  Are you still taking those special college classes?

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  I have a couple of acquaintances like that.  They feel isolated because as time goes on, those around them get tired of listening to the same old story every time they meet.  Too bad!====JACK:  It's nice to listen sympathetically, but there comes a time....  What do you do?

FROM JR IN CALIFORNIA:  Wow!!  How this message really hits home.====JACK:  When a pastor preaches, he/she tries to craft a sermon with his congregation in mind.  Winning Words goes out to more than 500 each morning.  I try to keep that congregation mind as I write my words.  Of course, not everyone has the same needs, but I let the Holy Spirit take care of that. 

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  i love joel's practicality & optimism. he & victoria are the only "evangelists" i have ever watched for more than five seconds.====JACK:  How much time do you give the preacher in church?  I remember seeing a wife poke her husband to wake him up.  I had a hard time to concentrate on what I was saying.  I can still picture it in my mind.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I love that song.  I rocked my babies including grandkids while singing or humming it.  The hard sometimes to turn those pages but there's always another book! ===JACK:  Sometimes, as we age, our fingers don't work as well as they used to, and the pages become harder to turn...in more ways than one.

FROM HY YO SILVER:  Wow.  This is deeply meaningful.====JACK:  One of the memorable quotes from Gone With the Wind is, "After all, tomorrow is another day."  So was yesterday.  Today is really the only day we have to do what needs doing.

FROM JPB:   “My God and I” may not be the greatest, but on my list it very near the top. ====JACK:  The worth of a song depends on who's reviewing it and for what reason...much like deciding on the worth of a person.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I have taken this semester off for the first time in about 14 years. But I have had a good experience in getting the house, the pool deck, the driveway and the sidewalks pressure washed.  Then my house took about  six days to paint, and I was lucky to deal with such good and competent people.  Then  we went to Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach for state and regional gymnastics meets.  Ft. Lauderdale was unbelievable to see.  Les and I were married at St. Anthony's, and it is still so beautiful.  We were there the Sunday before T. Patrick's Day, and an opera singer sang Danny Boy at the end of Mass and a bagpiper ushered the people out.  That was a first for me.  Now we have three graduations and 2 confirmations coming up.  I have been going to some travelogues; the  last one was on Israel- Jerusalem and the Dead Sea.  Also our neighborhood is mixed and many  of our friends here are moving back North to their families or to rehab centers.  Life is very interesting, to say the least.====JACK:  It sounds as though you are continuing to turn the pages forward.  Keep it up, and you're going to avoid moving back north.

FROM LG IN MICHIGAN:  Love this one!!====JACK:  Much obliged!  Now, there's an expression you don't hear anymore.  When's the last time you've used it?

No comments: