Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 3/10/15
“Too blessed to be stressed!”  (Seen on a coffee mug)  Grandson John asked if I’ve ever tried espresso coffee.  According to him, it’s served in a tiny cup and is “stronger” than a typical cup of coffee.  None of that espresso, latte, cappuccino stuff for me.  I’m satisfied with just plain old coffee.  Some studies show that coffee causes stress; others show the opposite.  I overlook the studies…and simply count my many blessings as I drink a cup of Starbuck’s Sumatra.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM CS IN MICHIGAN:  Drinking a cup of Starbucks Sumatra as I read this....😀====JACK:  Do you have a special mug, too?  How about the one that says, "Too blessed to be stressed?"

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I tried that Espresso at a Bed and Breakfast in Niagara, Ont.    it was good.   I have some every now and then.     I think it was first made by Viking interlopers to Italy....so it is Scandinavian by nature!====JACK:  Have you ever tried Swedish Egg Coffee?  Recipe:  Use a graniteware (enamel) coffee pot.  Wash egg; break it into a small bowl, reserving shell, and beat slightly. Add 1/2 cup cold water, the 1 cup ground coffee and the reserved egg shell, crushed. Mix thoroughly. Turn into coffee pot; pour on boiling water, and stir. (I remember the ladies adding the coffee/egg mixture directly to the boiling water.) Optional: The spout of the pot can be stuffed with soft paper towel to prevent escape of the fragrant aroma. Place on front of range and boil 3 minutes. If not boiled, coffee is cloudy. If boiled too long, too much tannic acid is developed. Add remaining 1/2 cup cold water; which perfects clearing. Cold water, which is heavier than hot, sinks to the bottom and carries the grounds with it. After coffee has settled, serve at once.====JOHN:  I remember that but have never tried it.   Have you actually made it?====JACK:  I've drunk it many, many times.  It's the best.

FROM TARMART REV:  Southern sweet tea year around for me, Jack!!====JACK:  Do you drink it from one of those fancy teacups...with your pinkie finger raised in the air?

FROM CZB IN NH:  I like that!====JACK:  I seem to remember that your dad got a coffee maker that ground the beans and automatically poured hot water over them.  Were you in on that gift?

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  I’m with you—but Starbucks is too bitter for me!  Ha!====JACK:  Bitter?  A perfect Lenten drink for you.

FROM MY LAWYER:  I'm with you!!!====JACK:  When did you first learn to drink coffee?  I think that I was in my mid-20s.====LAWYER:  I was about eight, and living on a farm (long story for another time) with my grandfather. Early every morning I would meet at his house with several of my cousins and he would, first swear us to secrecy, then make us all coffee. The cup had about 1/4 inch of coffee and the rest hot milk!!!  But, it was coffee; and I would dunk a piece of toast in it just like I saw my Mom do. It was the worst kept secret in town.

FROM STARRY KNIGHT:  Yes! I love coffee too!====JACK:  In Wisconsin, some make coffee, using beer instead of water.  Have you tried that? ====SK:  Wow! Didn't know that.  Going to try it sometime!====JACK:  You can make it sometime for your mom.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Ah coffee.  Where would we be without coffee.  I don't need it like  most of my Danish/Swedish family, but we do love it!====JACK: Today's special brews now cost more than gasoline.

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Give me a cup of Folger's anytime and use that other stuff to strip paint. I picked Folger's out of admiration of their commercials... especially the Irish Dancers one. (Haven't we discussed this before?)====JACK:  The Folgers ads have used some interesting tag lines.  The one Ilike is the Swedish lady calling it, "Fol-yers."

FROM ST. PAUL IN MESA:  I had a cup of espresso one time in a restaurant and it was strong!!  never again.   I think I can still taste it to this very day!====JACK:  Was it sort of like your first taste of wine?

 FROM HAPPY TRAILS IN NOVA SCOTIA:  sign at our vet’s office—”UNATTENDED CHILDREN WILL BE GIVEN A CUP OF ESPRESSO AND A FREE PUPPY”====JACK:  That is really funny.   Is there one about unruly spouses?

FROM MT SINGS IN TRAVERSE CITY:  I could not agree more!====JACK:  I suppose that there are many, many coffee shops in TC.  Do you have a favorite? ====EMT:  They have just built a Panera up here.  We always enjoyed them downstate.  There is a Bigby being built right near us now. I really like coffee shops.  They seem so cozy, especially in winter.  After the Bible Study downstate a bunch of us always went to a nearby coffee shop where we "really settled the problems of the world"!  I miss that that group!!====JACK:  Coziness sells, maybe more so than the coffee.  I wonder if it's also true with regard to churches?

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  BILL SAID THAT THE SWEDISH COOKS AT AUGIE USED TO MAKE EGG COFFEE...HE WORKED IN THE KITCHEN THERE, AS A STUDENT.  HE THOUGHT IT WAS REALLY GOOD COFFEE! I LOVE BOTH THE FLAVORED AND THE "BLACK" FRENCH ROAST. I HAVE A COFFE MUG RACK WITH THREE SHELVES OF MEMORABLE MUGS.  ONE OF MY FAVORITES I GOT AT THE NORMAN ROCKWELL MUSEUM IN STOCKBRIDGE, MA, "THE GOSSIP". IT HAS THE ENTIRE SAT. EVE. POST COVER ON BOTH SIDES OF THE CUP, WITH THE GOSSIPS PASSING ON THE JUICY TIDBIT, UNTIL SHE COMES FACE TO FACE WITH THE ONE SHE WAS GOSSIPING ABOUT! TOO FUNNY!  HERE'S TO MANY MORE MOCHA MOMENTS!====JACK:  It's been  interesting to read all of the comments about coffee, but no one has seemed to pick up on the point of being blessed.

FROM DAIRYLAND DONNA:  Simple message I really need to remember. Thanks.====JACK:  I like the Shaker Song, "Simple Gifts." 
'Tis the gift to be simple,
 'tis the gift to be free,
 'tis the gift to come down
 where we ought to be,
 and when we find ourselves in the place just right,
 'twill be in the valley of love and delight.
 When true simplicity is gained
 to bow and to bend we shan't be ashamed,
 to turn, turn, will be our delight
 till by turning, turning we come round right.

FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  Starbuck's is so big here, two on city streets.  How does coffee have to cost so much in these places?====JACK:  Economics 101...Supply and demand, or whatever the customer will pay.  Starbucks was first called, Starbucks Coffee, Tea and Spices.  One of their popular drinks is Teavana.  Have you ever tried that?

 

No comments: