Thursday, December 04, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 12/4/14
“The whole point of getting things done is knowing what to leave undone.”  (W. Clement Stone)  Stone knew how to get things done.  Sold newspapers as a boy…Read Nap Hill’s book, Think and Grow Rich…He started an insurance business with his mother as the manager and him as the only salesperson.  Eventually it was worth billions.  I didn’t know that one of Stone’s  great successes was helping alcoholic, Og Mandino, change his life for the better.    ;-)  Jack

FROM OPTILOU:  One of my favorite "Bill" Stone quotes is:  "Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do."  (I don't know if he "coined" this or "borrowed" it!)====JACK:  Spike Lee wrote and produced a film, "Do the Right Thing," which tells the story of a neighborhood with simmering racial tensions.  That was in 1989.  The right thing still needs to be done.

FROM PAUL IN ST. PAUL:  who is or was Og Mandino?====JACK:  I seem to have forgotten how "young" you are.  (Og is worth a Google.)  Mandino was a famous motivational speaker and author and publisher of "Success" magazine.  Og is a nickname for Augustus.  For example, I went to Og-ustana College.

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  I would like to be "the fly on the wall" in the locker room of some of our police departments and listen to the discussions!====JACK:  As a police department chaplain, I'm practicing my "fly on the wall" abilities.

FROM BB IN ILLINOIS:  We had Og’s book at home and my dad read Clement Stone also; had no idea that Stone helped Mandino.====JACK:  There was an era when "how to be successful" books were extremely popular.  Barnes and Noble still sells them, but they're not on the best-seller tables. 

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Probably one of the hardest things for us all is the hectic life we live.  In retirement, it's even harder to decide what to do and what to leave beside the road.  Especially when it comes to funds, stocks, and retirement funds.  We are blessed to have people who know what they want to achieve and what they are willing to leave.====JACK:  What spurs me on to decide on things is the saying...Not to decide is to decide.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  IT'S NOT JUST THE YOUNG WHO DON'T RECOGNIZE THE NAME OF OG MANDINO; I THOUGHT THE SAME THING, WHO IS HE? NOW I KNOW!  GOOD POINT IN TODAY'S WW, THAT IS THE DILEMMA ALRIGHT,  AND WE HOPE WE ARE WISE IN THAT DECISION, BECAUSE YOU CAN'T DO IT ALL! :-)====JACK:  What to do and what to leave undone is often a hard choice.  A harder one for "downsizers" is...What to keep and, what to get rid of.

FROM AW IN MICHIGAN:  I like this one a lot, Jack.  I never thought of it exactly like Mr. Stone's quote.====JACK:  I go around with a light bulb over my head, ready to be turned on by a new idea. 

No comments: