Monday, December 22, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 12/22/14
“When I see someone who’s grumpy, or looks like he or she is having an awful day, why not brighten their day with a positive song?”  (Ellis Kalomiris)  There’s a saying, “Dance like no one’s looking.”  Ellis K doesn’t mind being out of the ordinary.  He wears goggles and sings songs as he walks the halls of Augustana College.  “When I see someone who looks grumpy or like he/she is having an awful day, why not brighten their day with a positive song?”    ;-)  Jack

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  Ellis is a very interesting person. It gives me a very warm feeling that today's Words depict a member of my family...WOW!====JACK:  We need more people in this world who seek to brighten the day for others.  Hurrah for Ellis...goggles and all!

FROM TARMART REV:  I'm in the midst of dispersing $3000 in small increments of $50-$100-$200 in a "Merry Christmas!!" unnamed envelope . . . the amount keeps growing each year . . . don't always get to hear how the impact goes when they open their envelope . . . late afternoon at Walmart a mother with three young girls walks by my perch at Subway with Mom looking down and discouraged . . . I started to jump up and share the $100 envelope, but didn't . . . it kept bothering me so I walked up the way they were heading only to find they had disappeared, probably into the ladies restroom I thought . . . I hung around the area, while finding a single mom I knew to bless while standing there . . . when I had finished sharing with her, I looked up and here was the mother and girls standing the line at Walmart's service counter . . . I simply walked up, reached out and handed her the envelope and said "Merry Christmas!!" and walked away (no song this time) . . . I did notice a somewhat curious facial reaction. A little later she came back my way when leaving, stopped by and said how much she appreciated the gift and that it came at the right time as she has been running into some bad luck lately . . . I thanked her, and on out the door she went. One of the stock car racers I've met out where I serve as a chaplain dung the summer months, stopped by a little later on and mentioned he was standing in line when I walked up and gave her the envelope . . . he said he noticed when she opened the card and found the money inside, she wept and preceded to share randomly with him how things were not going well with her and how much she appreciated this strange experience . . . her car was just damaged in an accident, unexpected bills had occurred and she was returning something she had just purchased that was broken . . . he was impressed with the whole scene, and I was disappointed I had not given her a $200 envelope. “When I see someone who’s grumpy, or looks like he or she is having an awful day, why not brighten their day with a positive song or welcoming gift of sorts?” 0;-)====JACK:  Sometimes Santa Claus (or Jesus) is disguised as some guy sitting at Walmart eating popcorn.  What a great way to share the spirit of Christmas!

FROM EEC IN MICH:  Hmm.====JACK:  People are interesting.  I'm glad that we each have our personalities.

FROM DR JUDY:  Jack, that is so sweet that you quoted our nephew. THANK YOU!====JACK:  I'd like to meet him sometime.  I'd like to know more about Steampunk, too.

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  "Some of us are grumpy all of the time and all of us are grumpy some of the time, but all of us are not grumpy all of the time." Abe Zukerman====JACK:  "You'd better watch out.  You'd better not (be grumpy....)"

FROM CPA BOB:  My singing might not brighten anyone’s day, so I try for a big “hello”. ====JACK:  Your great big smile adds genuineness to the Hello!
 

No comments: