Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 1/2/14
"No matter how big your house is, or your bank account is, our graves will always be the same size.”  (Quoted by Tara)  With all the talk of the 99% and the 1%, the “haves” and the “have-nots,” death is the great equalizer.  Kenny Wayne sings, “I ain’t never seen no hearse pullin’ a U-Haul.”  Warren Buffett must have heard that song, because he’s encouraging the “haves” to make significant gifts to make life better for the less fortunate.    ;-)  Jack

FROM TK IN MICHIGAN:  Was I the Tara you quoted? I know I re-posted this on Facebook a while back.====JACK:  In my book, there's only one Tara.  I read Facebook once in a while.

FROM TRIHARDER:  ... but, have "you" made a difference in the world?  Bill Gates' bank account is huge. AND, he's made a difference.  Then, again, it doesn't take a large account (or any account) to make a difference.====JACK:  I like the slogan of The Christophers..."It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."  Just one candle shining can make a difference in a dark place.  Who we are, by what we say and do, can help brighten up a dark situation.

FROM TARMART REV:  Compelling thought this morning . . . share what we have with those less fortunate and we all walk along blessed more than what we were before. During the Christmas season I always try to pick a few not considered as deserving of such and bless them anyway . . . as I feel God has done the same with me on many occasion.====JACK:  I seem to remember from last year... how you pick out someone to especially help during this Christmas season.  I will be interested to hear about your choice this year.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I LIKE OUR RETIRED TEACHER'S THEME: "ONE HUNDRED YEARS FROM NOW IT WILL NOT MATTER WHAT MY BANK ACCOUNT WAS, THE SORT OF HOUSE I LIVED IN, OR THE KIND OF CAR I DROVE....BUT THE WORLD MAY BE DIFFERENT BECAUSE I WAS IMPORTANT IN THE LIFE OF  A CHILD.====JACK:  That works for parents, too.  My 6th grade teacher was my favorite.  My favorite course at Augie was American Ideals (Ander), even though I majored in philosophy.

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  Agreed and hopefully, understood.  However, while the shadow will be gone, legacy is a different matter.====JACK:  The older we become, the more we seem to be aware of the importance of legacy.  Having said that...time has a way of fading even legacies.  I like the poem by Carl Sandburg...GRASS

PILE the bodies high at Austerlitz and Waterloo. 
Shovel them under and let me work— 
            I am the grass; I cover all. 
  
And pile them high at Gettysburg 
And pile them high at Ypres and Verdun. 
Shovel them under and let me work. 
Two years, ten years, and passengers ask the conductor: 
            What place is this? 
            Where are we now? 
  
            I am the grass. 
            Let me work.

FROM TRIHARDER:  You do that everyday.====JACK:  I TRIHARD to do that everyday.  Sometimes it works.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  There is a new day planned for this Tuesday each year.  It's called Giving Tuesday and it follows Cyber Monday each year now.  It encourages everyone to give back in some way.  I think it's a wonderful idea and have spent time on my computer doing just that.  We can't take it with us and there is so much need.====JACK:   I like the word, stewardship, and how it related to Parable of the Stewards...sometimes called the Parable of the Talents.

FROM INDY GENIE:  My mom once told me (when I was whining about my house being too small)  that "it's not the size of the house but the size of the love in it that matters."  She clearly put me in my place :)====JACK:  You had school even when you weren't in school.  What a fine mom (teacher).

 

No comments: