Monday, November 03, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 11/3/14
“With rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow—I still have joy in the midst of these things.”  (Confucius)  This “Confucius say…” quote reminds me of the one by Omar Khayyam… Joy is found in “A jug of wine, a loaf of bread and thou.”  Which leads me to the words of Jesus at the Last Supper… “This bread is my body; this wine is my blood; eat and  drink in remembrance of me.”  What kinds of meals bring you joy?    ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:   Gathering around The Lord's Table is right up there at the top . . . have found there is always "light and life, help and power" to be experienced at His feet.====JACK: Do the AGs ever use a jug of wine and a loaf of bread for Communion?====REV:  I'lol bet you knew the answer before asking...I tell everyone when this subject comes up, I got in trouble when my wife and I visited a Lutheran Church in Willmar where they do use real wine and I asked for seconds. ====JACK:  I may have told you of the "temperance" church lady who was told that Jesus turned water into wine at the wedding in Cana.  "Yes," she responded, "and that's one thing that I don't like about him."

FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  I absolutely love the flavor of food. I love to eat....but specifically to your question....ice cream!!!!====JACK:  Is there a difference between the kinds of food you eat in Arizona compare with those in Michigan?  I love the coneys at Pete's in Pontiac.  It's been there on W. Huron St for almost 100 years.====RAY:  When we are in Michigan, we like to eat the fresh fish as much as we can. I love coney dogs too; the version in AZ is more like a spicy chili dog (beans and all with a wrap of bacon around the hot dog -- it is called a Sonoran Dog). It's good; but not a coney! So when we get back to Michigan, I track down Coney Island restaurants. Down here, the Mexican food dominates. Every different Mexican restaurant seems to have its own unique salsa recipe. All the varieties are fun to try. I like 'em all!

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Any kind, especially if I don't have to do the cooking.  It is very good to have my computer working again.  Our 54 year old son-in-law had a stroke and was in the hospital for 18 days.  The good news is that he has had a full recovery and returned to work last week.  Somehow you don't think too much about food when other bigger things are happening in your life. ====JACK:  Medical emergencies will put everything else on hold...even food.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  So many happy memories with family and friends center around good food! My family gatherings are not complete (any Holiday!) without my ham balls in sweet and sour sauce. TRADITON!! As Tevye sings in Fiddler On The Roof....how blessed we are in America with the abundant and diverse array of food available to most of us. Just presented a program on the book "One Thousand Sisters: My Journey into the worst place on Earth To Be A Woman"....you wouldn't have to worry about overeating in the Congo! :-( Yet these intrepid survivors still find a way to thank God that they are alive! Humbling to the extreme...====JACK:  One of the staples at our festive meals is Dorothy Weber's 5-Minute Salad...not as exotic as your ham balls, but a lot easier to make, and it tastes good, too.

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Watching somebody else eat crow.====JACK:  There'll be plenty of opportunity to see that on Wednesday, after the mid-term election.

FROM JT IN MICHIGAN:  Coney dogs, or anything shared with family or friends.====JACK:  I've introduced my children and grandchildren to the coneys at Pete's in Pontiac, and they love that place.  Your order is on the counter in front of you in less than a minute.  They've timed it.  You've probably had the same experience.

FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  Actually, any meal that I can share with others at the table.  Eating alone is not good!====JACK:  What is a typical English meal that you might share with someone? ====BS:  It might be a roast dinner with any meat that has been roasted in the oven with roast potatoes, vegetables, yorkshire pudding served with gravy and the appropriate sauce. Apple sauce with pork, horse radish with beef, mint sauce with lamb and cranberry with chicken.  Followed by dessert, apple crumble and custard or maybe a trifle or cheesecake accompanied by a nice glass of wine.====JACK:  Mmmmm.  That sounds good.

FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  What an interesting "thought Provoker"! What came to mind first was these two memories....Homemade bread, warm (from the oven of a wood burning cook stove) lightly buttered and spread with wild strawberry jam. The second was half a pasty warmed on the steam radiator in my classroom! More recently, .....Thanksgiving dinners with the family holding hands in a circle...each expressing a "thanks for"......Interesting!====JACK:  In Moline, at the bottom of the 15th St hill, 5-Point Bakery was located.  I would walk past it every day on my way to Irving School.  On the way home, there would be the smell of fresh-baked bread.  Sometimes I would stop in and buy a loaf for a dime.  It had just came out of the over and was still hot.  Mmmmmmm!

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Certainly corn on the cob is also life altering.====JACK:  I suppose, corn on the cob was especially good when it came from the backyard garden you had during your growing up years.====JOHN:  I grew great corn had a 1/2 acre garden

FROM TARMART REV:  Multiply multiplicities of many!!====JACK:  That sound like a lot.

3 comments:

Ray Gage said...

I absolutely love the flavor of food. I love to eat....but specifically to your question....ice cream!!!!

SBP said...

What an interesting "thought Provoker"! What came to mind first was these two memories....Homemade bread, warm (from the oven of a wood burning cook stove) lightly buttered and spread with wild strawberry jam. The second was half a pasty warmed on the steam radiator in my classroom! More recently, .....Thanksgiving dinners with the family holding hands in a circle...each expressing a "thanks for"......Interesting!

SBP said...


was or were?