Monday, November 24, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 11/24/14
“I must think of a new life  And I mustn’t give in.”  (A line from “Cats”)  Each day is a new dawning.  Each morning is a chance for a new beginning.  This thought was acted out and sung in the musical, Cats.  Public TV aired the show last week.  I don’t know about you, but I really like the “Memory” song.  Andrew Lloyd Webber truly has a gift…Evita, Phantom of the Opera, Jesus Christ Superstar, Joseph’s  Dream Coat.  Each one, like Cats, has a message.    ;-)  Jack

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  i am the only person to not have seen cats... sorry i misssed it. ====JACK:  At least check out the YouTube version of "Memory" sung by Betty Buckley.  You also might want to have the lyrics before you, so you can get "the message." 

FROM KANSAN KONRAD:  Two things I can't do: I can't decide to fall a sleep and I can't decide to forget.  But one thing I can do: Give thanks!====JACK:  "If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, Thank you, that would suffice."  Meister Eckhart

FROM HCC CHUCK:  His work is a lot like Life.  with each happening or experience there is a message that we often overlook.====JACK:  Life is often in the details.

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  We watched that PBS presentation of "Cats", actually the first time we paid much attention to that show during the long run it had in the theaters, except for the music we heard.  "Memory" is a notable song, full of nostalgic reflection, somewhat similar to "Yesterday" by the Beatles.  Looking back emotionally takes courage...churning up all the things we might have missed along the way.  We were young and full of energy and we raced ahead.  Late in life we have the time to dwell on what life was all about.  Nevertheless, I think we should still get up each morning looking forward with hope and a fresh outlook.====JACK:  The words I quoted are from the verse:  Daylight, I must wait for the sunrise.  I must think of a new life, And I mustn't give in.  When the dawn comes Tonight will be a memory too, And a new day will begin."  Time marches on...Day, then Night, then Day, then night, etc.

FROM TARMART REV:  Too much culture for this ol' country/western fan from Kansas!=====JACK:  Do you mean to tell me that you've never seen/heard Jesus Christ, Superstar? ====REV:  Not even . . . read His Book though.====JACK:  When the musical first came our, we showed it as Lenten Service at our church.  Would an AG congregation do that?====REV:  More so in this day and age then when it first came out...not as conservative any longer...social drinking seems to have found its way into our circles with more frequency and couples living together outside of wedlock attend with somewhat of a comfort more so nowadays. I did my first dance with my daughter at her wedding a couple of years ago...I guess we have now come of age with most other churches we seemed to have been separate of in years gone by.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I have never seen Cats but I have heard most of the songs.  He is certainly a blessed song writer.  Love most of his music!====JACK:  Our choir once did Joseph's Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.  It was awesome!

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  i really like the song from chorus line, "what i did for love".  it holds close to my heart for many reasons, but it was popular when joe died of aids.  it became an anthem of sorts to the gay community.  love is love.  love goes on.====JACK:  Love...such a simple word, yet so full of meaning in various ways.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  I talked my husband into going see the musical, Cats.  He “endured” the play, but was not happy.  He did like the way the “cats” moved around like cats and really liked the Siamese Cat.  A few days later, he was in Milwaukee checking out of a hotel when he saw several folks with warmup jackets that said “CATS” on the back.  Of course, he talked to them and asked if they were the same group that had been in the Twin Cities?  They were, so he told them he fell in love with the Siamese Cat.  Well, they went to get her.  He said her face was all full of acne as you can imagine from all the make up.  Who but C would have an experience like that???  Ha!====JACK:  He also was one bold enough to do that sort of thing.  A line from the song, Memory: "I remember a time I knew what happiness was  Let the memory live again."

FROM PAUL IN ST. PAUL:  funny, i watched some of the Cats too last week.  there are a couple of songs in there that i really like.====JACK:  As with most musicals, there is usually one song that stands out from the rest.  With Cats, it's the song, Memory.   The only other song that I can remember is Grizabella, the Glamour Cat.also, McCavendish (spell?) from Cats.   from the Man Of LaMancha musical i have always loved To Dream The Impossible Dream.  

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Memory indeed a beautiful song. Cats is not one of my favorites, though. Joseph's Dream Coat is my favorite.====JACK:  In terms of causing "discussion", it has to be Jesus Christ, Superstar.  Just lately the question was asked, Was Jesus Christ married to Mary Magdalene, and did they have children?  While questions like these have been raised in seminaries, Superstar, for better or worse, brought them into the public forum.  I, too, liked Joseph's Coat, but it seemed to be more like entertainment. 

No comments: