Thursday, November 20, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 11/20/14
“When you hear music today…think how nifty God was to invent it.”  (Wally Armbruster)  I’m eclectic when it comes to my choice of music…all the way from Bach to Buck Owens.  But my car radio is set to the classical station.  How about you?  I wonder if Jesus ever whistled or sang a song…maybe one that he’d heard in the synagogue?  Many of our best songs have come from Jewish composers…the Gershwins, for example…and Irving Berlin.  Others?    ;-)  Jack

  FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  I heard a wonderful discussion on the historical relationship between Catholics and Jews on WDET last week. I would love to listen to it again when I'm not in the car.
At one time, music was another thing that biologists used to distinguish us from animals.  We now know that isn't true anymore. It's getting harder and harder to define those differences, especially after looking at Jane Goodall's work. I wonder if whales prey?====JACK:  Just as it was once thought that Earth was the center of the universe, it is now becoming evident that creation does necessarily center around humans...or, is that a heretical statement?====PAUL:  Complicated issue!!!! 

FROM HONEST JOHN:  My car radio often goes to Siriusly Sinatra.====JACK:  I had an aunt who liked Bing Crosby.  She referred to Sinatra as "Snot-ra."====JOHN:  I love Bing Crosby and Sinatra....both/and often works better for me than either/or.====JACK:  I hate being backed into the corner where I have to choose one, among many...except for, "Choose this day whom you will serve."

FROM PR JAN:  Mendelssohn, whose father was a convert to Christianity; ethnically they were still Jews, of course, just as were Simon Peter and Saul/Paul.====JACK:  My mother-in-law was  the organist/music director of a church with 5 choirs.  One Easter Sunday she wondered whether it was appropriate for a non-Christian to sing, "I Know That My Redeemer Liveth."  What do you think? ====JAN:  Since God lives eternally, by whatever name you call on God, your Redeemer liveth.  Yeah.====JACK:  "Redeemer" is an attribute that is not tied to all Godly concepts.  I should do some research to find out if their are others, besides Christianity.====JAN:  That is, Christianity and Judaism.  "I know that my redeemer lives" comes from Job, so we know there, at least, our roots are deep. 

 FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  i'm sure you know.  i can't imagine life without music.  my life is a musical!====JACK:  What's your song for the day...today?====MARY:  may there always be sunshine.  it's share feast open house and we sing it as a thankfulness song each year.====JACK:  Hum a few bars.  I don't think I know it.

FROM TARMART REV:  There's a song in the air!  There's a star in the sky!  There's a mother's deep prayer  and a baby's low cry!  And the star rains its fire  while the beautiful sing,  for the manger of Bethlehem  cradles a King!  Merry Christmas, Jack!!====JACK:  You must be hearing a lot of Christmas music at Target and Walmart.  What's your favorite Thanksgiving song?
====REV:  Thank you Lord for saving my soul, Thank you Lord for making me whole, Thank you Lord for giving to me  Thy great salvation so full and free!====JACK:  I've sung that song before.

FROM PAUL IN ST. PAUL:  who ever invented the word, nifty?====JACK:  Nifty seems to have originated in the mid-19th century.  Ain't Google nifty?====PAUL:  i used to like Montovani but today is sounds just a little too sappy.  still, it is quite relaxing.  and we all started out with Pat Boone, Elvis, Buddy Holly,  and the Everly Brothers, etc.   and then came the MoTown Sound.    i always liked John Denver,  Neil Diamond, Beatles, Elton John, etc.   and i still love a good hymn like Abide With Me, and Lord Whose Love in Humble Service, and O God our help in ages past, etc.   tons of great music to enjoy.   nifty!!====JACK:  Sounds like a DREAMY music to me.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  eclectic, too. burt bacharach is a fav.====JACK:  I looked up a listing of Bacharach songs, thinking that I would pick out my favorite...I couldn't do it.  I liked them all.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  Include,  Harry Chapin who wrote the Cat's  in the Cradle, and many others.  Carole King , ( real name, Carole Klein) You've  Got a Friend,  Locomotion and 100s of hits...Blood Sweet and Tears combined the Jewish style of Klezmer (Jewish Art Music) horns with rock and blues...And 100's more artists, and writers .====JACK:  As the hour glass sand diminishes, I like September Song and Croce's, Time In A Bottle.

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Burt Bacharach. Has written 78 top 40 songs.====JACK:  Hal David deserves some of the credit.  Great songs!====CHESTER:  Absolutely. He was Jewish also. Maybe Jesus was a musician. Probably played the saw. (haw.haw)====JACK:  I wonder if Jesus would like (and laugh at) the old TV show, Hee Haw?  Maybe he'd like the songs of the Gospel Quartet featured on the program.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We love Classical music, Christian music especially the old hymns, however we love the new songs too, country, And oldies but goodies!  How wonderful our God is to give us gifts of music!====JACK:  I like, Jesus Loves Me.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Music is a big part of my life, having performed it, taught it and directed it . I too love classical, Big Band era, Chapin and Croce, and so many others, but not much into today's offerings. But my car radio usually has an audio book on it! Have read a lot of good books that way, as I 'commute" to Springfield (1/2 hour), etc. So I guess I don't hear much music on a daily basis!====JACK:  Wisconsin Public Radio used to broadcast at noon, "A Chapter a Day," a reading from a current book.  I remember being "hooked" on Harry Golden's "Only In America" by that program.  Golden became one of my all-time favorite authors.  I even got to meet him in person.

FROM JB IN MICHIGAN:  2 NPR, 2 classical, 2 oldies, 2 country (1 is a small town Canadian country with the local news and hog prices)  I think He must have  whistled and sang - at least to himself - if he had any joy and/or peace in his heart.  My belief in His joy and peace makes me sing and whistle especially when I'm alone or with the grand kids. They only understand the joy and never notice how far off key I might be. We just sing and laugh.====JACK:  I had fun singing "The Freckle Song" (not all the verses) for my grandchildren (and children).  I like George Burns singing, "I Wish I Was Eighteen (or younger) Again."

No comments: