Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 11/18/14
“Psst…You’re amazing!”  (From Behappy.me website)  I came across an interesting website, Behappy.me.  Their goal is “to inspire at least one person each day.”  And, so, they post various positive messages each day, like the one above.  “We want to focus on what’s good in the world.  We want to focus on the silver lining of the cloud.”  In the early 20th century, before websites, the book, Pollyanna, became a best seller.  Why do you suppose that was?    ;-)  Jack

FROM WATERFORD JAN:  Behappy might be a cheerful, uplifting site, but I doubt that I'll check it out because Winning Words is a site that touches all of our characteristics.  I am always amazed at the sources from which you create your daily Words.  I like the variety of  subjects, and thus the variety of reactions, from day to day.  It makes me feel as if my brain is being stimulated in many ways. ====JACK:  I hope that what interests me will interest you.  It's sort of like wondering what to preach about on a Sunday.

 FROM QUILTING CAROL IN WISCONSIN:  I wish you an “amazing” day!  You certainly do share your amazing talents and smiles with many every day!  Thank you for your amazing kindness! ====JACK:  The day has gone well...a little nippy and a dusting of snow, but life is good.  Amazing!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Pollyanna saw the good in everything and was positive no matter her situation.  If we were all like her the world would be lot better place.====JACK:  I wonder how Pollyanna would react to some of today's Reality TV shows?...if she'd still be a Pollyanna?"

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I love Reinhold Niebuhr's emphasis upon Original Sin as an antidote to the Pollyanna Liberalism of the early 20th century.    Look to God for goodness and be transformed from the kind of world infested with Hitlerism, Stalinism, Maoism, and ISIS.====JACK:  I wonder how the Niebuhrs would adjust their thinking with regard to today's world situation, politically and theologically.  Wouldn't it be fun to plant them in the middle of Detroit today and see if they would know where they were?====JOHN:  Niebuhr's church is now on Normandy and Woodward.   I'd like to go in there sometime and see if they have any memorabilia from his day.   I think his theology would fit today perfectly.   We have forgotten original sin.   We need to understand its potency in order to deal with the crazy world we have right now.   Then The need for Grace would become so apparent.====JACK:  As the hymn verse goes..."Change and decay in all around I see; O Thou, who changest not, abide with me."  Is G-d the only one (thing) who's immutable?

FROM TARMART REV:  Well, Jack . . . you've reached your goal early this morning of inspiring someone . . . you can go back to bed now!!====JACK:  Once up, I stay up.  When I wake up, I begin the day by quoting to myself the words of this song:  LEAD ME, GUIDE ME, ALONG THE WAY.
FOR IF YOU LEAD ME I CANNOT NOT STRAY.  LORD LET ME WALK, EACH DAY WITH THEE;  LEAD ME OH LORD LEAD ME.

FROM PAUL IN ST. PAUL:  remember that song about 15 years ago?   "don't vorry, be happski!"   mutilated Russian no doubt.====JACK:  When that song was popular, I preached a sermon with that as a title: Don't Worry, Be Happy!  Sort of like the Be(happy)attitudes.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Why thank you! I feel amazing! :-)  Bill had the funeral service for the mother-in-law of the writer of "Don't Worry, Be happy", so met him briefly. Seemed very nice, and down-to-Earth.  I don't suppose Pollyanna would sell well today. I find it hard to find a really good story in a novel, that  isn't on the dark side, anymore!  We'll just have to keep reminding those around us how amazing they are...including you, friend Jack! Good WW to remember!====JACK:  I wonder if anyone came up to Jesus and said, "Psst!  You're amazing?"  How about after he preached the Sermon on the Mount?  Matthew records (7:28), "The crowds were amazed at his teaching."
Substitute any of these synonyms...Astonished, dumbfounded, stupefied, astounded.====OAKS:  I imagine they told him that in "so many words" on Palm Sunday....?!====JACK:  I wonder what Jesus thinks about the words and music of Jesus Christ, Superstar?  Was the Palm Sunday crowd calling Jesus a SUPERSTAR?

FROM SHIRLEY PARKER IN FLORIDA:  For my birthday my daughter, Stacy, gave me a little BE HAPPY box with the message to "Open a card , whenever you need one." Today's card was, "Treasure this day, and treasure yourself. Truly, neither will ever happen again." Do you suppose that box is a spin-off of the website....or vice versa? The quote was by Ray Bradbury.====JACK:  What a great gift idea!  Watch for this "card" to be used as a future Winning Words.

1 comment:

SBP said...

For my birthday my daughter, Stacy, gave me a little BE HAPPY box with the message to "Open a card , whenever you need one." Today's card was, "Treasure this day, and treasure yourself. Truly, neither will ever happen again." Do you suppose that box is a spin-off of the website....or vice versa? The quote was by Ray Bradbury.