Thursday, November 13, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 11/13/14
“We will never finish everything on our to-do lists…and that is life.”  (Susan Taylor)  Taylor is the former editor of Essence magazine and says that we spend too much time thinking of what’s wrong in our life and not enough time being grateful for what we have.  If we focus on what we have, instead of dwelling on what we don’t have, we’ll find that life becomes a better journey, no matter how bumpy the road.  #1 on today’s To-Do List …“Be grateful!”    ;-)  Jack

FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  Great idea....gratitude certainly sets a tone for each day doesn't it?====JACK:  As a child I learned this song in Sunday School...
Father, we thank thee for the night,
 and for the pleasant morning light;
 for rest and food and loving care,
 and all that makes the day so fair.
 Help us to do the things we should,
 to be to others kind and good;
 in all we do, in work or play,
 to grow more loving every day.   

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  i am officiating my son thom's wedding to his beloved bree on thanksgiving, (something i never thought would be on my to-do list).  the theme of the ceremony is intention, attention, love, and gratefulness.====JACK:  That'll be a Thanksgiving that will not soon (if ever) be forgotten.

FROM TARMART REV:  speaking of bumpy roads . . . leaving this morning for Howell, MI . . . wedding there on Saturday . . . a few bumpy spots at first due to the snow storm . . . hoping for smooth sailing thereafter!!====JACK:  Bumpy roads are better than icy roads.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:   SO TRUE! AN ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE, AS BILL USED TO SAY.   REMINDS ME AGAIN OF A QUOTE BY ELIZABETH ELLIOT (MISSIONARY HUSBAND KILLED BY THE ACUA INDIANS YRS. AGO):  "IT IS ALWAYS POSSIBLE TO BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT IS GIVEN, RATHER THAN TO COMPLAIN ABOUT WHAT IS NOT GIVEN. ONE OR THE OTHER BECOMES A HABIT FOR LIFE." AMEN!!  LOVED BEING REMINDED OF THE CHILDHOOD SONG IN MICHIZONA RAY'S BLOG!  BROT BACK GOOD MEMORIES!====JACK:  Elizabeth was an exceptional person....It's not easy to give thanks when that is "loved" is taken away.  I have a hard time thinking that Mary was giving thanks on Good Friday evening....but maybe she was.====OAKS:  There are times when giving thanks is not possible at the moment...I doubt even Christ was giving thanks on the cross...especially according to Mark's version: His final words were shouted "My God, my God, why have YOU forsaken me??!"
I've had some of those times, as almost everyone has!

FROM SB IN MICHIGAN:  Many years ago at a meeting of communications professionals, I had the pleasure of dining with Susan Taylor. She was an exceptionally inspirational speaker.====JACK:  It is always interesting when we meet up with interesting people.  I remember having a conversation  with Billy Graham after he gave a talk to the Detroit Economic Club.

FROM DAIRYLAND DONNA:  If we finished the list, what would we do tomorrow? ;o) ====JACK:  Haven't you seen the movie, Groundhog Day?  What if there's no tomorrow?  BTW, have you ever read this poem by Edgar Guest?
He was going to be all that a mortal could be. . . Tomorrow
 None should be kinder or braver than he. . . Tomorrow
 A friend who was troubled and weary he knew,
 Who’d be glad of a lift and who needed it, too,
 On him he would call to see what he could do. . . Tomorrow
 Each morning he’d stack up the letters he’d write. . . Tomorrow
 And he thought of the friends he would fill with delight. . . Tomorrow
 It was too bad indeed; he was busy each day,
 And hadn’t a minute to stop on his way;
“More time I’ll give to others,” he’d say. . .” Tomorrow
 The greatest of workers this man would have been. . . Tomorrow
 The world would have known him, had he ever seen. . . Tomorrow
 But the fact is he died, and faded from view,
 And all that he left here when living was through
Was a mountain of things he intended to do. . . Tomorrow.
====DONNA:  Wow. Never saw that poem before and Yes, Groundhog Day was great.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We have a large floor Grandfather Clock.  I got it the year Andy was born, 1980.  I would sing the song, "The Grandfather's Clock" to him all the time.  When we were moving he was quite concerned.  When we asked him why he said, "If the grandfather clock stops, you will die mom."  I think the same thing about finishing my to-do list.  I will never finish it because it's not physically possible for me, but that's a good thing!  You always have to have something to look forward to...a Bucket List that will never be finished because nothing will be finished until we get our big trip....to Heaven.====JACK:  Since the "end" will come like a thief in the night, there will surely be to-do lists that are unfinished. 

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  The poem by Edgar Guest that you quoted in today's WW reminded me of another poem I read some years ago.  It is sad that we often put off simple things that could mean a lot in someone's life until it's too late.  Here's the poem:
"THINGS YOU DIDN'T DO"
Remember the day I borrowed your brand new car and I dented it?
I thought you'd kill me, but you didn't.
And remember the time I dragged you to the beach, and you said it would rain, and it did?
I thought you'd say, "I told you so." But you didn't.
Do you remember the time I flirted with all the guys to make you jealous, and you were?
I thought you'd leave me, but you didn't.
Do you remember the time I spilled strawberry pie all over your car rug?
I thought you'd hit me, but you didn't.
And remember the time I forgot to tell you the dance was formal and you showed up in jeans?
I thought you'd drop me, but you didn't.
Yes, there were lots of things you didn't do,
But you put up with me, and you loved me, and you protected me.
There were lots of things I wanted to make up to you when you returned from Vietnam.
But you didn't.
====JACK:  The largest funeral I ever conducted was for a young Marine who didn't return alive from Vietnam.  Before he left for the war, I had a chance to sit down with him and his fiancé and have a time for prayer.  That's something I'm glad we did.  His name is on "the wall"...Soren Prip.

FROM AW IN ILLINOIS:  Jack,  I am taking a psychology class in college...and the text book has a section on the  "new"  ?  "Positive Psychology"  that is surfacing among the experts.   For a  happier life, the founder of  the movement suggests  that a person does three things:     Give gratitude and associate with people who give gratitude. Before you go to sleep at night,  think of 3 blessings you experienced during the day.    And finally, remember that in life "one door closes and another door opens."   Does this really sound new to you?     Also, the book makes the point that people who have religion test as being happier than those who do not. Seems like I heard that before too. ====JACK: Even Norman Vincent Peale, known for The Power of Positive thinking, borrowed the concept.  Epictetus used it in the first century, and he probably borrowed it from someone, too.  I was a founding member (1972) of the local Optimist Club and still attend weekly meetings.

2 comments:

Ray Gage said...

Great idea....gratitude certainly sets a tone for each day doesn't it?

SBP said...

I remember that one, too. NFB109