Thursday, January 09, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 1/9/14
“Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.”  (Brian Littrell)  Which do you think is the most dangerous of the Winter Olympic Games?  Some say it’s the luge.  Free-style snowboarding, with twists and turns, looks scary, too.  Life has a way of putting us into frightening situations, some even scarier than the luge.  Have you noticed that there are athletes who cross themselves beforehand…and afterward?    ;-)  Jack

 FROM TRIHARDER:  You can't do it until you think about doing it.  I agree.  I used to say regarding a major "project", "I'm thinking about xxx -- but I won't do it unless I tell people that I'm thinking about doing it."  Often, just telling people about the plan would motivate me to do it.   When I was talking about taking my son's soccer team to Cuba, it started with a conversation, then telling/asking people about it.  My real motivation occurred when my X said, "You'll never do it." ====JACK:  "You'll never do it," is a great motivator for certain competitive people, and I fit into that group...sometimes.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON: I've noticed that there are more people in my congregation who cross themselves during worship now-a-days.====JACK:  What do suppose that means?  What do you suppose it means to the athlete?  I've read that Martin Luther suggested making the sign of the cross in the morning and in the evening.  Why do you think he suggested this?

 FROM BFC IN MICHIGAN:  I think the downhill skiing is the scariest. Remember Franz Klammer? ====JACK:  By way of Youtube, you can re-see the Klammer accident.  Scary!  Yes!====BFC:  I don't remember him crashing! I just remember he was so crazy-fast and (seemingly) fearless.

 FROM TARMART REV:  "Have you noticed that there are athletes who cross themselves beforehand…and afterward?" I love that line, Jack!!====JACK:  Have you noticed anyone in an Assembly of God gathering cross themselves?  What does that mean to you?====REV:  Interesting thought . . . I began doing this when I read some years ago that this was not just a Roman Catholic ritual for other church bodies have used it in their faith expression as well. With that said, you will most likely not (other that on rare occasion as I will be found doing so) see a member of the Assemblies of God doing this. The reason is we have never been led to do so . . . probably as we are found to be on the other side of any liturgical expression . . . perhaps we will regret that someday.

 FROM MY LAWYER:  If I were in the Olympics and in the luge, I'd cross myself too, just in case!!! ====JACK:  You could be in the Bud Lite TV commercial..."It's only weird, if it doesn't work."

 FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  Like====JACK:  K

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  The most difficult part of accomplishing something is to get up out of the chair. ====JACK:  I have this saying posted by my computer...GET TOUGH...GET OFF YOUR DUFF.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We were discussing the Olympics last night.  We have so much respect for people who work so hard to become the best.  I can't say I have ever worked as hard on something as they do.  We always notice the athletes who cross themselves before and after.  It's good so know so many people of all races and colors are connected to God.====JACK:  When I was in Luther League there was a group called the PTL, Pocket Testament League.  Members would carry a small New Testament with them and pledge to read a verse a day.  Is that the same as crossing yourself? : ====JUDY:  No, I think they are two different things.  To cross oneself I think, is a reminder of Who you serve and you are either asking for assistance and then are thankful afterwards. I don't know why the Catholics cross themselves though.  Reading a Bible verse a day is something you to do learn and hold in your heart.  Hopefully, then walk in the Light God gave you through His Words.  Again, these are just things I believe, I imagine it's different for everyone.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  They all look dangerous to me. We just have to take one day at a time and to do the best that we can.====JACK:  One that I like which doesn't look dangerous is ice dancing.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've noticed that there are more people in my congregation who cross themselves during worship now-a-days.
S.H. in MI

Anonymous said...

I've noticed that there are more people in my congregation who cross themselves during worship now-a-days.
S.H. in MI