Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 1/8/14
“After a while, the newness wears off.”  (Kellie Lee)  When do we stop saying, “Happy New Year?”  When does the newness of 2014 end?  I guess it all depends on the people we will meet and the experiences we will have.  I’m anxious for this to be a great year.  But, it won’t come about by just wishing for it to happen.  Some of it takes effort on our part.  Hmmm!  Isn’t that the way it is with relationships, too.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  I have clothes that I bought in 1994, and now have holes worn right through the fabric. I know I have to give them up....but I don't want to. They have become so very comfortable with age. I suppose relationships can be like this too, if we wear them well!====JACK:  There's an expression that's seldom heard anymore...referring to someone as "an old shoe," meaning...I'm comfortable with that person.  A couple of old shoes that I know recently celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary.

 FROM TARMART REV:  Another fine word for us to contemplate, Jack . . . off to Fargo, ND right now to talk to a group of pastors, hoping to stir one or two to consider representing Railroad Chaplains of America in that region so I won't have to always drive those 3-4 hours over there doing the same. "It won't just happen . . . it takes an effort on someone's heart to make it known."====JACK:  Rather than "it takes an effort," I think it takes a sense of "being called by God," to do his ministry.  I like this poem which says it well:
Christ has no hands but our hands to do His work today
He has no feet but our feet to lead men in the way
He has no tongue but our tongue to tell men how He died
He has no help but our help to bring them to His side.
We are the only Bible the careless world will read,
We are the sinner’s gospel; we are the scoffer’s creed;
We are the Lord’s last message, given in word and deed;
What if the type is crooked? What if the print is blurred?
What if our hands are busy with other work than His?
What if our feet are walking where sin’s allurement is?
What if our tongue is speaking of things His lips would spurn?
How can we hope to help Him or welcome His return?
—Annie Johnston Flint

 FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  I find it interesting that everyone feels obligated to make resolutions on New Year's day, loosely defined "re" from the Latin is try again  & then  of course we're left with the rest of the word being solutions.. So... on January 1st we should wish each other a HAPPY  NEW YEAR; thereafter, we should wish each other HAPPY RESOLUTION!...mmmm====JACK:  I like your suggestion to call them New Year re-solutions!

 FROM AW IN MICHIGAN:  Happy New Year, Jack.  You are off to a great start with Winning Words in 2014.====JACK:  There was a time when the school day began with students singing to the teacher...
"Good morning to you, good morning to you, we're all in our places with bright shining faces.  What a wonderful way to start a new day."  Winning Words is a good way for me to start a new day.  I'm glad that you enjoy them.

 FROM PRDM IN MICHIGAN:  Well written...Thanks!  ...and Happy New Year.====JACK  As the old song goes...If you're happy and you know it, say AMEN..

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  This will be a great year...they all are.  Everyone suffers from something...ill health, lack of funds, low paying jobs...etc.  But each day we wake up to a new beginning.  How we deal with our new beginnings each day is up to each of us.  My parents seemed so excited by the new day each day.  My dad would holler up the stairs to us girls still sleeping "Wake up, it's daylight in the swamp!"  Sometimes I liked to hear him yell it and sometimes not so much.  I would love to hear it one more time from him now.  I bet the angels wake up to him hollering everyday!====JACK:  We each have triggers that activate our memories.  "Wake up, it's daylight in the swamp," is certainly a special one.  In my imagination, I can hear it now.

 FROM DB IN MICHIGAN:  Hi Jack, I have a burning question.........You mentioned relationships. How does one avoid "buyer's remorse"? (how does one know when a person is right for them) How does one find the right person? Should they create a long check-list of questions?====JACK:  There's not a "one size fits all" answer to your question.  I like the expression, "Fall in love, head first."  I had reservations about one of the first marriages that I performed.  It lasted over 50 years.  One that I was "sure" about lasted only two weeks.

 FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  January 15th, officially.====JACK:  Does the same "official" have an opinion as to the date when we should stop saying, "Merry Christmas?"

 FROM TRIHARDER:  I remember when the love of my life arrived in Detroit.  I couldn't wait to get home -- even though some work nights were very long. I called her "my new toy".  Less than a year later, we were married.  21 years later, divorced.  Yes, the newness wears off. Sometimes, though, the patina enhances the newness.  Sometimes, it's rust.====JACK:  Things happen.  I loved my 55  red and cream Chevy Bel-Air hardtop.  I traded her in for a 57 Ford, which was lemon.  I keep a model of the Bel-Air by my computer, remembering the good old days.====TH:  I had a Rocket 88 Olds convertible, white, with a 400 cu in engine.  I don't know why I ever got rid of it. It was reliable, smooth and fast. I could nurse about 20 mpg out of it if I drove carefully -- which I usually did.   My first car was a red Plymouth Valiant convertible with a "white" top (that was gray by the time that I inherited it -- from my brother -- who got it from our mother.  Push button transmission.====JACK: My Uncle John always drove Oldsmobiles.  As a teen-ager, I remember going with him to the Olds dealer when he picked out a new silver Rocket 88. What a beautiful automoble!

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Just because it isn't new, doesn't mean it is old. Some things are timeless.  Like the day my daughter was born. Seems like only yesterday.====JACK:  When our first daughter was born, fathers were not permitted in the delivery room.  After a long period of time, I went up to the nurses' station to ask about how things were going.  Oh, your daughter was born a couple of hours ago.  I guess they forgot to tell you.

  FROM DAZ IN COLORADO:  Its been 54 days and its still new. (and great)====JACK:  As long as you're counting, you might want to read the words by Elizabeth Barrett Browning...."How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.  I love thee to the depth and breadth and height  My soul can reach, etc."

 FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  Haven't really thought about how the 2014's "newness wears off"...."til today's WW. For me, I guess, it's like "This is the first day of the rest of your life." And, actually, this moment is the first of the rest of my life. But/and we/I just keep on keepin on....moment to moment.  ."It's daylight in the swamp!"....is part of my childhood memory bank. Along with lumberjack tales and copper mining experiences.....and pasties. Awesome!====JACK:  I'd almost forgotten about your U.P. roots.  A friend of mine who lives in Calumet says that they've had over 140 inches of snow so far.  BTW, speaking of  "keeping on," there's an old Swedish hymn that I like..
Day by day, your mercies, Lord, attend me, bringing comfort to my anxious soul.
Day by day, the blessings, Lord, you send me draw me nearer to my heav’nly goal.
Love divine, beyond all mortal measure, brings to naught the burdens of my quest;
Savior, lead me to the home I treasure, where at last I’ll find eternal rest.
    Day by day, I know you will provide me strength to serve and wisdom to obey;
    I will seek your loving will to guide me o’er the paths I struggle day by day.
    I will fear no evil of the morrow, I will trust in your enduring grace.
    Savior, help me bear life’s pain and sorrow till in glory I behold your face.
Oh, what joy to know that you are near me when my burdens grow too great to bear;
oh, what joy to know that you will hear me when I come, O Lord, to you in prayer.
Day by day, no matter what betide me, you will hold me ever in your hand.
Savior, with your presence here to guide me, I will reach at last the promised land.








2 comments:

Ray Gage said...

I have clothes that I bought in 1994, and now have holes worn right through the fabric. I know I have to give them up....but I don't want to. They have become so very comfortable with age. I suppose relationships can be like this too, if we wear them well!

SBP said...


Haven't really thought about how the 2014's "newness wears off"...."til today's WW. For me, I guess, it's like "This is the first day of the rest of your life." And, actually, this moment is the first of the rest of my life. But/and we/I just keep on keepin on....moment to moment.
"It's daylight in the swamp!"....is part of my childhood memory bank. Along with lumberjack tales and copper mining experiences.....and pasties. Awesome!