Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 1/29/14
“Most people call me, Mercy.  I like that.”  (Mercedes McCambridge)  In light of our winter weather, these words by Pope Francis seem appropriate: “A little bit of mercy makes the world less cold and more just.”  I remember reading The Merchant of Venice as a 9th grader…especially, “The quality of mercy is not strained.”  And then this truth follows…”Mercy blesses both the one who gives and the one who takes.”    ;-)  Jack

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  The OT lesson this week is Micah 6.====JACK:  I remember a seminary prof who challenged us to remember Micah's words as we went out to do ministry..."Do justice, love kindness and walk humbly with your God."  Martin Marty is part of my generation, and one of his sons is named, Micah.

 FROM WATERFORD JAN:  If mercy can be defined as kindness given, some of the spontaneous kindnesses I have rendered have brought me exceeding pleasure.  They have been pleasant surprises for the receiver and to this giver.  Planned mercy through organization programs is also pleasurable--I'm thinking of our church food pantry.====JACK:  The Bible passage, "The Lord loves a cheerful giver," has been translated, "The Lord loves the one one who gives hilariously."

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I remember having to memorize that speech on Mercy and recite it to the class, in Miss Garst's speech class. That, and the one from Hamlet, "Is this a dagger I see before me? Come, let me clutch thee!..."   We took it very seriously; I wonder if kids today would?!  MERCY, when you don't get what you deserve...or GRACE, when you get what you don't deserve. :-)  I lost a much younger bridge buddy and neighbor, early this morning, and am thankful again for a merciful God, when we enter eternity and  judgment!  "Eye hath not seen, neither has entered into the heart of man, what God  has prepared for those who love him"! Mercy!====JACK:  I'm reading a book, written by a mother whose 16-yr-old son was killed in an auto accident.  Getting what you don't deserve begs for a different word than, grace...or so it seems.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  We must  have had a great teacher to remember that. It was all very impressive.  Pope Francis has a lot of good ideas.  I do reading his tweets every day, even though my new 5C phone and computer sometimes do mysterious things  Thanks for all of the WW.  You often jog my memory. ====JACK:  Probably, Mrs. Wiggins.  I wonder whatever happened to Bessie Mae Coleman?

 FROM TARMART REV:  There you go again . . . stirring up an old hymn or two:
(v) Years I spent in vanity and pride, Caring not my Lord was crucified, Knowing not it was for me He died On Calvary.
(v) By God’s Word at last my sin I learned; Then I trembled at the law I’d spurned, Till my guilty soul imploring turned To Calvary.
(v) Now I’ve giv’n to Jesus ev’rything, Now I gladly own Him as my King, Now my raptured soul can only sing Of Calvary.
(v) Oh, the love that drew salvation’s plan! Oh, the grace that bro’t it down to man! Oh, the mighty gulf that God did span At Calvary.
(Chorus) Mercy there was great, and grace was free; Pardon there was multiplied to me; There my burdened soul found liberty, AT CALVARY.
====JACK:  I don't think that was in the Lutheran Hymnal.  Maybe you can sing a stanza or two when we meet again at Panera.

 FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  "Tis mightiest in the mightiest.."  Mrs. Wiggins' English class at John Deere Junior High a looongtime ago!  "And earthly power doth then show likest God's when mercy seasons justice." I like the words of Pope Francis"A little bit of mercy...less cold and more just". Is it possible for our l our legal system allow for mercy to season justice?====JACK:  Sometimes we think that the only learning takes place in college.  Not so!  I even remember learning about the American Indians in Kindergarten...and also learning how to color.pictures.  Jack Kevorkian, who advocated "mercy killing," lived in out community.

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  I will be merciful today and not "pull your chain."====JACK:  Isn't there a sign at Fejuary Park in Davenport that says, "Don't tease the monkeys?"











3 comments:

SBP said...

"Tis mightiest in the mightiest.."
Mrs. Wiggins' English class at John Deere Junior High a looongtime ago!
"And earthly power doth then show likest God's when mercy seasons justice." I like the words of Pope Francis"A little bit of mercy...less cold and more just". Is it possible for our l our legal system allow for mercy to season justice?

SBP said...

Not for posting...
Miss
Garst's class...her mother passed and she (Barbara) shared this poem with us...
Remember me when I have gone away into that silent land
Where you can no longer take me by the hand, And I yet turning chose to stay Remember of the future that we planned......" And I foget the rest. But I remember "Remember"and it is w arm.

SBP said...

and haunting...