Monday, November 25, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 11/25/13
“When you’re tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past, or a pioneer of the future.”  (Deepak Chopra)  Futurists are predicting some amazing things…robotic maids, flying cars, healthful food in a pill.  There are “luddites” who react negatively to stuff like that.  I suppose most of us are moderates.  We like some of the past, but accept that the future has a way of becoming the present.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  I love the past.   I love the present.   I look forward to the future.   Why be one dimensional?====JACK:  You probably like 3-D movies, too.

 FROM TARMART REV:  From the time we are born, cycled in and out of changes . . . .was here before we arrived and will be present still when we say farewell Planet Earth!!!====JACK:  You and I are part of the change.  Here today and gone tomorrow.====REV:  Hopefully able to stop along the way and smell a few roses.====JACK:  This week I hope to smell the turkey as it's cooking.

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Well you know, Deepak, the reverse of that is possible too.  I sometimes feel I was a pioneer of the past but am now becoming a prisoner of the future.====JACK:  That's a good thought.  BTW, I've never been a prisoner in jail, except one time....when I was locked up as part of a Muscular Dystrophy fund-raiser.  I didn't get out until people paid my bail with donations.

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  The temporal realm certainly brings its challenges to man. Living or attempting to relive the past has no true present or future; but a life of fantasy. In a true sense, the future never occurs because the present is as close as we can get to it. And, the present comes and goes into the past as soon as we experience it. I wonder what eternity must be like --- all three simultaneously?====JACK:  The present immediately becomes the past, and the future never happens.  Or...Is the past, present and future all a fantasy?====RAY:  You have tapped into the issue at hand: the delicate distinctions among our many experiences...How much of what we experience is "true" and how much is "reality"? What is true is true for itself. What is real is by my own determination; but what is real is not necessarily true.====JACK:  Some children have fun playing with their imaginary friends.  Adults can have fantasies, too.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:   A Robotic Cleaning lady would be most welcome at my house today, as I gear up for 41 Thanksgiving guests!!  But of course think of all the aids we have that would have seemed heavenly to housewives 150 yrs. ago, like vacuum sweepers, diswashers, et all. Guess I can't complain.  And the future looks to be awesome with fantastic discoveries and inventions that amaze us! But food in a pill will never taste and smell as delicious, as what we have now. HMMM I an smell that turkey already!! ====JACK:   41 is really a crowd to have around the table.  Jesus only has 13.

 FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  We're a solution comprised of the past as we blend into the present as we are infused into the future as we....As I churn today's WW....lots of aspects to think about....Thanks. ====JACK:   Nobody has asked about "luddite."  I think that it's such an interesting word...with a fascinating story behind it.====SBP:  My assumption was/is that everybody but me had a base of reference. So....I "Googled" the word.....and it is an interesting , meaningful word. Worthy of more conjecture. My grandson and I were discussing the origins of language this weekend. How has it evolved from "grunts" to syntax> WW just stirs up..... ====JACK:  Grandsons are fun...I have 4.  Granddaughters are also good to interact with...2 of them.

5 comments:

Ray Gage said...

The temporal realm certainly brings its challenges to man. Living or attempting to relive the past has no true present or future; but a life of fantasy. In a true sense, the future never occurs because the present is as close as we can get to it. And, the present comes and goes into the past as soon as we experience it. I wonder what eternity must be like --- all three simultaneously?

Ray Gage said...

You have tapped into the issue at hand: the delicate distinctions among our many experiences...How much of what we experience is "true" and how much is "reality"? What is true is true for itself. What is real is by my own determination; but what is real is not necessarily true.

Ray Gage said...

I'm not sure what exactly you meant by your last comment; but mine have been about being conscious and aware of the two. Sure, adults can think and behave as children, and both have fantasies of all types. The problem is when one cannot discern the difference.

SBP said...

We're a solution comprised of the past as we blend into the present as we are infused into the future as we......
As I churn today's WW....lots of aspects to think about....Thanks.

SBP said...

My assumption was/is that everybody but me had a base of reference. So....I "Googled" the word.....and it is an interesting , meaningful word. Worthy of more conjecture. My grandson and I were discussing the origins of language this weekend. How has it evolved from "grunts" to syntax> WW just stirs up.....