Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 11/12/13
“Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely.”  (Auguste Rodin)  Rodin lived these words of his.  Even though the realism of his sculptures was criticized by the art world of his day, he refused to change his style.  Recently, a casting of The Thinker sold for $15+M.  At a Rodin showing in Detroit, I learned that The Thinker is part of a larger sculpture, where he’s looking down upon people in Hell…and thinking.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  It seems that a quote from baseball player Ichiro Suzuki is appropriate here:"People striving for approval from others become phony."  It is sad that so many talented artists have not been appreciated in their lifetimes, nor reaped the financial benefits of their talents; However they remain true to themselves, for their Art's sake!  It boggles my mind that that amount of money is paid for art work (or anything else!). I always think of all the good it could do for hungry and  disadvantaged people!!  But as my husband used to say, "It's not what you'd do with a million, if fortune  should be your lot; It's what you're doing now with the buck and a half you've got!"====JACK:  As with the story of the Widow's Mite...It's not how much you have that's important, but what  you do with what you have.  Or, when the woman washed Jesus' feet with expensive ointment.  The complaint was that this ointment could have been sold and the money used for better things, like helping the poor.

 FROM TARMART REV:  Could we agree that "that is a Hell of a sculpture in downtown Detroit?" I always wondered what was behind that . . . thank you, Jack, for enlightening me this early morning!!====JACK:  Today is Rodin's birthday.  His gift to the world of The Thinker has given us something to think about.

 FROM PH IN MINNESOTA:  is it also true that he was sitting on a toilet??====JACK:  As people age, they tend to think about things like trips to the bathroom.====PH:  my Dad, in his old age, used to say that he spent 1/3 of his time sleeping, 1/3 trying to remember someone's name, and 1/3 of his time looking for the men's room...  this is not nearly as funny as it used to be!====JACK:  I used to think that my dad was old, but now I have become older than he was at the time.  Now, I think that Methuselah (969) was old.

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  If you can't play the mandolin, don't criticize the one who can. ====JACK:  There's a mandolin song called, "Losing My Religion," but I'd be afraid to play it.====PFC:  Do you play the mandolin? I took piano lessons when I turned 60 so I am a critic.====JACK:  If you live long enough you might be able to play the piano like Phil Connors in the movie, Groundhog Day..

 FROM ML IN MICHIGAN:  A friend of mine sent me this quote, though I don't know the author.
"Wherever creative love enriches life, the Holy Spirit is present and operating."  She suggested I use it as a lens for certain things that are bothering me.  I like it.  Of course, I suppose, the trick is to recognize creative love.====JACK:   The Holy Spirit works in some mysterious ways which are beyond our understanding.  Hardly a day goes by, except that I recognize the Holy Spirit affecting my life.  And the Holy Spirit is affecting things, whether or not I recognize it...too.  When things bother us, it's good to remember that the Holy Spirit is always at work.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  How true that is.  When we visited his studio and museum and garden, several years ago, the entire area was conducive to thinking and enjoying.====JACK:  I wonder how many "snubbed" artists of today will gain recognition with the passage of time?  Happy Birthday, Rodin!



No comments: