Friday, September 06, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 9/6/13
“Age is a question of mind over matter.  If you don’t mind, it don’t matter.”  (Satchel Paige)  Old Satch was probably the best pitcher in the history of baseball.  He still pitched in the majors at age 59.  Paige had several aphorisms printed on his calling cards.  One read, “Don’t look back!”  Sometimes it’s hard to let go.  You can’t get ahead if you’re continually using the rearview mirror.  Now’s the time to move on.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  I use the rear view mirrors frequently while driving.   I also try to keep focused in what is going on in front and on the sides.    In the same way history helps us a great deal...so does keeping focused on the front and sides.====JACK:  I agree that's it's good to be aware of what's going on around you while driving...in fact, it also applies to how life is lived.  You would pass any test in both areas.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  You're right about this WW. Thanks!!!!!  You and Joanne Worley are pips. ====JACK:  Jo Anne is known as a "loud-mouth."  In church she would lip-synch the hymns, so that she that she would not drown out the congregation.  J A and me...Like two pips in a pod.  .

 FROM KF IN MICHIGAN:  I hope the Tigers can move on from the 20 runs scored against them on Weds!!====JACK:  Some events are unforgettable.  That game was forgettable.  Such is life!

 FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN:  You don't know how I needed that!  I have been struggling with the fact that we are in the midst of moving to Traverse City!  I know it is right, have known that we have been "lead" to this decision, and everything has fallen into place:  sale of house here, purchase of house there, etc, etc.  But I am a foot dragger, reluctant to change.  In  fact, I kept one your earlier WW about not letting your rear view mirror be larger than your windshield.  But we have so many memories made in this house:  grandkids all born here, so many family gatherings, Mother living here, etc.  But it is now too big, too much work and too expensive to keep and besides all of that Rick loves T.C., has been begging me to move, my son and family live there and I am from there--had worked at the State Mental Hospital till it closed and I moved down here.  I think that maybe the real problem is that I knew that someday I would return there as I truly love it.  But I thought it would be when I was old, and I don't think I'm old yet!!  Is this my rude awakening??====JACK:  There are certain occasions when the "aging process" seems to hit home.  The death of the last parent is one.  The move to a "retirement" place is another.  But change happens, whether we're ready for it, or not.  Many good things happened for me after "retirement."  It's OK to use that rearview mirror once in a while when you get to T.C.  Just don't forget the windshield.

 FRLM RI IN BOSTON:  Do look back!  Aging and "looking back" go together well.  When we reach a time in life that we become limited in our activities, memories of better days give a lot of solace.  It's little comfort to dwell on things that might have been, but by contrast, it's quite satisfying to mentally re-live one's accomplishments or other buoyant moments that punctuated our younger, spirited, years.  Shortly I'll be attending my high school class reunion after 60 years.  I suspect those of us still around will be celebrating our age, and we'll do a lot of looking back.====JACK:  While it's fun to look back, there's no future in it.  I'm reminded of the little old lady who had many maladies and was often in and out of the hospital.  Whenever she was there, she would go around trying to cheer up the other patients.  As she was signing in for another visit she said, "I wonder what God has for me to do this time?"  I wonder what God has for you to do at your reunion?

 FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  LAL.====JACK:  I hope you have a LAL day!

 ROM TARMART REV: Saw Paige pitch when I was a kid in Osawatomie, Kansas on the Potawatomie Creek, taking a bus ride to Kansas City to watch the KC Athletics play . . . all for 50 cents!====JACK:  Now, that's something for the Memory Bank!  Did they ask you to give the invocation?

 FROM TRIHARDER:  Roger Maris had an * after his hr totals when he hit 61.  In Boston, they won't let Ted Williams 502' hr shot be beaten by Big Poppy.  I've often talked about putting * next to all major league baseball players who used PEDs.   Shouldn't we also talk about records achieved when a sizeable portion of the talented population was excluded from competing? Yes, these were great athletes.   A book that I would author, if I had the writing talent, would be a book on one or more or all of the great Negro baseball players.  I love this story:  "They said Papa Bell was so fast that he hit a line drive through the pitcher's legs and the ball hit him in the ass as he was sliding into second."====JACK:  Speaking of asterisks, I like that Papa Bell story.  Part of the fun of growing up with baseball is keeping track of stats.  I have a grandson who has a mind that full of them.  Personally, records are made to be broken...but I hope that no one breaks the consecutive game hitting record of Joltin' Joe.  As an aside, I'm not a fan of instant replay.  Umpire errors are a a part of the game, just like player errors and managerial errors.  "We all sin and fall short...."  That's why there's a day like Yom Kippur. ===TH:  Yom Kippur gives us an opportunity to ask forgiveness for our sins and shortcomings, true. But if we have an opportunity to correct those shortfalls and don't isn't that compounding our error?   Armando Galaraga's perfect game is an example of a clearly blown call that could have been set right be a quick review.  Although in this case, the class of all of the actors -- Galaraga, Jim Joyce (the umpire) and everyone else, mitigated the loss of Galaraga's perfect game. But Joyce was embarrassed, even despondent over his missed call.  Doesn't Galaraga deserve an * ?   I say (but don't really mean) that I hate every sport whose outcome is determined by someone who is not a participating athlete.  It takes the "sport" out and puts in "art".  (Ice skating broils me). Most people don't want to win unfairly.   We can correct a mistake. We should do it.====JACK:  It's been said of a nit-picker, "He majors in minors."  When the ump or ref is continually 2nd-guesser, it destroys the flow of the game.  Whether one likes it or not, the official is part of the game.  After many pitches the TV shows a box indicating the location of the pitch.  "Getting it right" might mean getting rid of the home plate umpire and letting the camera make the calls.  In fact, let the camera make all of the calls.  "Kill" the umpire!  Having said that...I think that judges, juries and attorneys deserve to be 2nd-guessed.

 FROM DC IN MICHIGAN:  That was the time I knew a lot about baseball and I know he only pitched in the big leagues a very few years, because that was after Jackie Robinson and Larry Doby.  And I don't think he was the best pitcher ever, even if he was very good.====JACK:  When I was in grade school, teachers graded with E, VG, G, and P.  Fans grade ball players (and preachers) in a similar way.  But, when all's said and done....it's like Grantland Rice once wrote:  "For when the One Great Scorer comes  To write against your name,  He marks-not that you won or lost-  But how you played the game."

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Home run!!====JACK:  The only home run that counts is the one that happens when we die.  Thomas Taylor wrote a hymn which goes this way...  "I’m but a stranger here,  Heaven is my home;   Heaven is my home;   Earth is a desert drear,  Heaven is my home;  Danger and sorrow stand  Round me on every hand;  Heaven is my fatherland,  Heaven is my home."====PFC:  Well, I'll see you at the Home.====JACK:  There's no place like home.  There's no place like home.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Old Satch had several quaint sayings...this is a familiar one, and holds the truth. I passed Meals on Wheels this week, and at 83, was older than many of the recipients I served. Made me count my blessings, again!   Looking ahead and moving on is absolutely essential. My granddaughter and fiancee will be here tomorrow for lunch and a fun visit. Interest in their futures plans and careers helps to keep one forward looking!! But the rearview mirror is good to "see" precious memories! Best of both  ====JACK:  As his career was winding down, there was a picture of Satchel in the bullpen, sitting in a rocking chair, reading a newspaper.  He always ambled (never ran) to the pitching mound.  When I walk, I usually amble. 

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  In my mind, I'm still in my twenties but my body says I'm in my 60's.  I'd rather stay in my mind's eye than my body's.  I don't mind and it don't matter.====JACK:  I wonder if Methuselah ever felt his age?






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're right about this WW. Thanks!!!!!
You and Joanne Worley are pips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeys_nmxNug
Happy birthday.
S.H. in MI