Friday, September 20, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 9/20/13
“Don’t let them steal your hope!”  (Pope Francis)  These words were sent to a drug rehab center in Argentina which was celebrating its 5th anniversary.  Stealing hope can happen in many situations.  Yes, there are times when we need to be realistic, but, more often than not, people need words of encouragement.  “Make someone happy.  Then, you’ll be happy, too.  A card, a phone call, a visit.  You won’t regret it!    ;-)  Jack

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  This new pope has also said, (paraphrased) "This church should be a home to all, not a small chapel that can hold only a small group of selected people."  By these words he restores hope to many who have lost church fellowship, and by that lose the message of God's grace and salvation. ====JACK:  I think that there is more to come from this new pope which will cause the Catholic Church to rethink infallibility.====RI:  I think you are right about that; also, if he gives due consideration to the various issues of sexual abuse that have been exposed in the church hierarchy, he may also confront the validity of priests' celibacy.====JACK:  It must be a heavy burden (infallibility) for the pope to carry when he speaks about doctrinal matters.

 FROM TARMART REV:  0;-)====JACK:  I see that you're doing your Harpo Marx impersonation this morning.

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  Con Trued said that you can't live bereft of hope.   I've thought of that often and I have come to agree with him.====JACK:  I've found that, with the passing of time, I had some teaching & learning experiences and didn't fully appreciate.====JOHN:  But you've probably had some great learning experiences, too.   They are to be treasured====JACK:  Many!

 FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  LAL====JACK:  Pope Francis seems to be getting more LALs than PUs.

 FROM TRIHARDER:  This Pope seems to be a Pope of the People.====JACK:  Maybe he'll come to be known as the "Pop-Pope," pop standing for populist.   BTW, the word, pope, is the Latin way of saying, papa, or father.

 FROM CL IN MICHIGAN:  Great advice for a happy life====JACK:  It's interesting to wonder what would make the people at the Argentinian rehab center happy.  I'll bet receiving a personal greeting from the Pope made them happy.  But other things, like rehab successes, would bring happiness, too.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  I wasn't expecting this Pope. I'm just one teenie weenie itsy bitsy tiny miniscule little speck of a Christian who is not even a sheep in his fold but he's making me very, very happy and hopeful that we're all moving a little closer to understanding and living out God's Will on this earth and feel like my own spirituality is getting validated or something. Glad I've lived long enough to see this day. ====JACK:  You might feel itsy bitsy, but you know what Jesus said about the mustard seed.

 FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  Interestingly today our daily newspaper had a front page headline and news article re Pope Francis" speech.....to which I was drawn. I especially liked/agreed w/his statement that "God is in everyone's life". I find that affirming and comforting. ====JACK:  I think that some people are going to have to do some real soul searching with regard to papal infallibility.  A "human" pope will express some "human" feelings, and we're no used to that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wasn't expecting this Pope. I'm just one teenie weenie itsy bitsy tiny miniscule little speck of a Christian who is not even a sheep in his fold but he's making me very, very happy and hopeful that we're all moving a little closer to understanding and living out God's Will on this earth and feel like my own spirituality is getting validated or something. Glad I've lived long enough to see this day.
S.H. in MI

SBP said...

Interestingly today our daily newspaper had a front page headline and news article re Pope Francis" speech.....to which I was drawn. I especially liked/agreed w/his statement that "God is in everyone's life". I find that affirming and comforting.