Friday, March 22, 2013

Winning Words 3/22/13
“Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal.”  (Mark Twain)  There are descriptive phrases that capture my attention, like…a sleepy conscience.  Some people go through life with that malady.  Is one’s conscience “nature or nurture?”  That’s something to think about.  And while you’re pondering, bring to mind some of the good friends and good books that have made a difference in your life.    ;-)  Jack 

FROM CWR IN B'MORE:  I think it means something quite different. It may mean "...don't be such a 'worry wart'////JACK:  Sam Clemens wasn't afraid to express his true feelings.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I think we have a innate knowledge of right and wrong, but certainly nurturing comes into play.  People raised in desperate circumstances often numb their conscience out of necessity, perhaps. And then there are those who are so wrapped up in # 1 that their conscience IS dulled....But love the Mark Twain quote on good friends and good books. What JOY they bring to our lives!!  So many great books, so little time!!!////JACK:   I think that the genes we are born with tend to affect our decision-making.  I'm not so sure about an innate sense of right and wrong.

 FROM PASTY PAT:  I've been 'chewing on' this one for 2 days now.  I think it's nature but I want to be wrong.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  My daughter just commented on FB about how she is reading Frog and Toad to her little boy and that she remembers me reading to her those same stories.   I love all those children's stories.  I think my favorite is "Lafcadio, The Lion Who Shot Back".   By Uncle Shelby

 FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  like, i think. is a sleepy conscience still a good thing in the morning?

No comments: