Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Winning Words 3/12/13
“STOP WHINING!”  (Sign in an office)  Should there be a sign like that in your office, your home?  My mother used to respond to my complaints with, “Poor Baby!” even when I was an adult.  There are some good things to be said about kvetching.  The Slavs have a proverb: “Complain to the one who can help you.”  A good listener can hear what’s not being said.  It’s something like that when God listens to our prayers.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  I don't whine.  It gets you nowhere.   I fight.////JACK:  General Sherman gave a speech at the Orchard Lake Military Academy in which he said, "War is hell!"////JOHN:  It is if you are opposing me...I don't fight to lose.////JACK:  When Michigan's basketball team lost by 1 point to Indiana, Coach Beilein said, "We try to win with class.  We try to lose with class."

 FROM FACEBOOK LIZ: many thanks for your thoughtful insights each morning, btw!////JACK:  Like!

 FROM WALMART REV:  Often remind myself that I am too serious about some things that really don't matter to anyone but me, at least at the present. When I have make mentioned of it, polite silence is my reward for the effort...just like I give in return to those commenting or joking about me. 0;-/ ////JACK:  Pastors are entitled to whine once in a while.  Usually it's best to do it to other pastors and not to members of their congregation.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  My daughter and I have a system when she starts trying to sort out her complaints about something. At first I would try to think of solutions and try to give advice, but she told me she didn't want that--SHE JUST WANTED TO VENT!!! When we both understood that and that venting really only takes a few minutes, we just relaxed and felt better. Does God understand "venting" when He's not being asked to do something? It's probably why she's venting to me first so's she can get her thoughts organized and ask God more clearly. I know there's purpose in it.////JACK:  Isn't there a verse in the Bible which says, "Come unto me, all ye who labor and want to whine, and I will give you rest?"

 FROM SS IN MICHIGAN:  As you probably know, I slipped on the ice on March 2, injuring my knee.  I am now on crutches and a full right leg brace. Since I can't drive I am pretty much house-bound.  I mention all this while getting to your "Jack's Winning Words".  I really look forward to reading your words each day. Today especially.  Just as I was beginning to feel sorry for myself, up pops "Stop Whining", so I stopped.
Thanks so much for your daily help - Keep 'em coming.////JACK:  Could that be the 11th Commandment?

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  This one made me laugh!  I guess we could all have it in our house at one time or the other.  I'm deeply grateful God listens when no one else will.////JACK:  There's an old song:  "Hello Central, Give Me Heaven."  You never get a "busy signal" when you want to talk (whine) to God.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  My twin used to use the old cliche, "Wait! Do you want cheese with your whine??! which always brought me up short, and made me smile....tho I am not an habitual whiner!  I am usually blessed with enthusiasm and optimism...Love the paraphrase of the bible verse "Come unto me..." in the blog! :-)  Your WW are spot-on!////JACK:  Some people knows us better than we know ourselves...like a twin...and especially like...God.

 FROM TRIHARDER:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL8e2ujXe8g////JACK:  I'm stopping; I'm stopping!

 FROM VW MARY:  My mother did not use those words in response to my complaints, but her attitude was exactly the same.////JACK:  Try that with a worker who comes into the cubicle complaining, and see what response you get.  "Poor baby!"

 FROM JOAN L: When we complained as children, my mother, with a smile  would say, "Stackers liten". In Swedish it means, "Poor little one". We passed it on to our children. It's a wonderful phrase to wash away life's little worries.////JACK:  She might also sing to you..."Tryggare kan ingen vara,  Än Guds lilla arnaskara,
Stjärnan ej på himlafästet,  Fågeln ej i kända nästet."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter and I have a system when she starts trying to sort out her complaints about something. At first I would try to think of solutions and try to give advice, but she told me she didn't want that--SHE JUST WANTED TO VENT!!! When we both understood that and that venting really only takes a few minutes, we just relaxed and felt better. Does God understand "venting" when He's not being asked to do something? It's probably why she's venting to me first so's she can get her thoughts organized and ask God more clearly. I know there's purpose in it.
S.H. in MI

Jan said...

It is a good sign. People laugh at it but they do still whine.....At least it gives them a chuckle.