Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Winning Words 1/2/13
“It’s always wise to look ahead, but difficult to look further than you can see.”  (Churchill)  Many of Churchill’s quotes were spoken during WW 2 in an attempt to bolster the morale of the English people.  Isn’t it strange how they still resonate with us today?  I got a calendar of quotes for Christmas.  The first page reads, “Keep Calm and Carry On”…another of C’s gems.  As you look ahead to 2013, Keep Calm!    ;-)  Jack

 FROM WALMART REV:  Good word for our time, Jack!////FROM JACK:  "What's the good word?" was an expression that people used to say when greeting one another.  Then, you'd have to come up with some kind of positive response.  "We stopped short of the fiscal cliff....for now!"

 FROM MS IN MICHIGAN:  A month or so ago I picked up a birthday card that says Keep Calm and Carry On for an English pen pal that I’ve had for over 60 years.////FROM JACK:  Do you still have the quill pen that you used to sign the card?

 FROM MY FLORIST:  You should check out the back story on "Keep Calm ..."  As I recall it was prepped for use in the event of a German invasion.////FROM JACK:  You recall correctly.  Imagine the anxiety in our country if there were an imminent invasion by a hostile army.  I think that the people would want more that a slogan telling them to Keep Calm!

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I LIKE THE ANNA QUINDLEN QUOTE "LIFE IS MADE UP OF MOMENTS, SMALL PIECES OF GLITTERING MICA IN A LONG STRETCH OF GREY CEMENT." (A SHORT GUIDE TO A HAPPY LIFE)  SHE  LEARNED TO LOVE THE JOURNEY, AND LIVES WITH THE THOUGHT "TODAY IS THE ONLY GUARANTEE YOU GET, SO LIVE IT TO THE FULL, LOOK AT ALL THE GOOD IN THE  WORLD, AND TRY TO GIVE BACK SOME OF IT!...'  Don't look so far ahead that you miss TODAY!////FROM JACK:  I though that Mica was one of the Old Testament prophets.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Great advice....Keep Calm!  We always think we are in control and we aren't.  So  we should take each day as a blessing and enjoy each moment we have!////FROM JACK:  I like the story of the disciples and Jesus is a boat during a storm.  "Jesus, don't you care?"  He replied, "Keep calm!," or words to that effect.

 FROM BM IN MICHIGAN:  Can you keep calm when it comes to our dysfunctional Congress? ////FROM JACK:  I try to keep calm by realizing that I can only control those things that I'm able to control.  As the Optimist Creed begins..."Promise yourself to be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind..."

 FROM S & S IN ILLINOIS:  I am reminded of what Dory says in "Finding Nemo" - "Just keep swimming!"////FROM JACK:  I didn't see "Nemo," but I looked up the synopsis.  The Dory quote certainly applies to many life situations.

No comments: